TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i want a real oil pressure gauge in my dash on my 4.6. where is the best place to tap in for the reading. i plan on taking out the stock idiot gauge thats messed up anyways. also if possible i want to avoid the check gauges lite from being on.

im sure this has been done before let me know how it turned out for u or what u learned.........

Thanks,

Greg

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
The green circled area. Remove that plug and put your sender in there. The two blue fittings on the Frankencougie below are where your oil filter would be.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Is there any way to change the sending unit or plug a different one in somewhere else, but run it to the stock gauge? I know it wouldn't be a PSI reading - just relative high or low, but better then the idiot version. I imagine some circuit modification might also be required somewhere, but it seems like such a natural thing to do...like the water temp gauge...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yes, check the tech articles, engine section, it is the bottom article, there is also an aritcle in there telling you how to just simply change the sender too so between the two it is no problem. I recently did this and it works great, although, I still have no numbers at least I know something is going on.

·
Registered
799 Posts
This isn't as easy as it sounds. First, there is very little room to work in there. Secondly, if you use a sender unit from autometer then you'll also need an elbow adaptor because there's this annoying chunk of the car that is very close to that plug that is circled in the above photo. Not having that elbow kept me from installing mine last week. Home depot plumbing section has all kinds of various adaptors, elbows, etc... I think I'll wrire an article about it after I get mine finally done. Due to work, a 5 year old, a 10 month old, oh yeh, and a wife I have very little time to work on my car.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I used a motorcraft sender and needed the elbow still, forgot about that, sorry. I was going to poast about that when I did it but never got around to it. I just expect there to be no room to work on our cars, or any other car made in the last 15-20 years for that matter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another question about that plug circled green..... how would u go about removing it?? does it just pop out or unscrew some how? special torx bit or hex or something like that? i kindo dont wanna knarl it up or break it because changing the sending unit gasket was hard enough once.

thanks again for the info

Greg

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
It's an allen head screw.. Be aware if you have any oil in the system it will come pouring out that hole..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts