TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a '95 3.8 t-bird and have been thinking about installing a sunroof. anybody here done it? about what range in price will i be looking at?

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
There are two main options:
1. Flip-up sunroof. These come in various sizes and the glass can be removed. I had a 17x32 (biggest one) installed in my '88 and it came to $320 with a lifetime warranty.
2. Electric sunroof/moonroof. Same as above, but very expensive. Average price is around $750

Getting a factory moonroof from a Thunderbird/Cougar will not work due to the unique roof on sunroof cars.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'm glad someone asked this because I'm in the market for one also.

My 95 Cougar doesn't have one, AND the roof needs painting badly! So I thought, "Hey, what the heck... if the roof needs painting, why not install a manual flip up sunroof" :thumbsup:

And from what I've researched, cougarcragar is correct. :D

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I would install one on my '96 but I have one problem. I think it would look cheap.
There's a company known as SFC and they make a line of sunroofs (called the Gemini series). They are the manual flip-up style, but the glass has no "buttons" from the hardware... it's totally smooth.
It's about as close to factory-looking as you can get, but I don't know where to find 'em!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I have heard second-hand horror stories on this subject. From what I have heard, if you install a sunroof in a car that did not have it from the factory, it will eventually leak and you will never get it to stop.
Then again, I don't know from personal experience... I just thought I would share what I heard. :)

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
That's certainly something to consider.
When you install a sunroof, you compromise the structural integrity of the car (to a certain degree). With this comes more body flex, right?
I think this may be why t-tops have such a propensity to leak.
On the good side, most manufacturers now offer a lifetime leak warranty, and the seals/gaskets are made with high-quality rubber. It won't dry out and crack like the old-school sunroofs.

·
Registered
744 Posts
here's the personal experience part you were looking for:

my '92 bird had a aftermarket flip-up. i loved having it. gave the car a more sporty feel & brightened up the inside a bit. downside: yes there is increased chassi flex, almost like your in a convertable. my roof never leaked, as long as i tightened up the screws that held the glass down every few months or so. my biggest fear was to brake the glass, becuase i had no idea if it could be replaced or where. i also i pulled the thing out every chance i got, and yes i've been caught in the rain a few times with the glass sitting in the trunk.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought my 97 new from a dealer here in LA with an ASC (American Sunroof Company) sunroof/moonroof. ASC is also based here in LA somewhere.
I loved it, always nice just to pop up the back and get a nice breeze through.
It was nicely installed and never leaked even when running it through the automatic car wash.

·
Registered
355 Posts
ASC is originated in southgate michigan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts