TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 cougar that I am installing headers on this weekend. Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions on the easiest way to install them? A friend of mine said to unbolt the motor mounts and raise the engine just a slight bit to slide the headers in and then lower the engine back in. Has anyone heard of anyone doing that. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
which headers are you installing??

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure im trying to find out the person that sold them to me has not got back with me. The only thing I know for sure is there shorty header's.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
if they are SSAC (ss autochrome ebay specials) or JBA... it isn't even worth your time dude.. gains are negligible and it isn't worth wasting 12hours and cutting your hands up for

if they are shorties.. it sure sounds like one of them

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I bought them off of a guy on ebay. He said he had a 97 t-bird but he sold it and wanted to get rid of the headers. Knowing my luck he lied to me. What about the headers made by kooks there 3/4 length?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
When I attempted my header installation I held the engine up and dropped the K-memeber off. It was still a PITA trying to get to all the bolts when bolting them on. Then there was the fact they didn't fit.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you dropped the k member did any of those bolts brake?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Nope. All the K-member bolts came out just fine, I had them all out when I did the engine swap too so they had been out before but they came out just fine the first tiem I had them out too. The rear subframe bolts were a ***** though. Be read for some broken tools and have full tanks on your torch if you ever decide to drop the rear subframe.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ok thank's I'm going to try to install the one's I got cheap off of ebay just for the fun of it. I got nothing better to do on my weekend's. Then down the road I will get the headers made by kook's. THANK'S FOR THE ADVISE ALL

·
Registered
166 Posts
Big-Al said:
From someone who bought them, don't. They are a pain and they are coming off as soon as I can get it in a garage.
/ insert mild hijack in honor of our friends in the Carolinas

sorry Al, display rack not included... :D

ps: stop by here and gimme some input...4.6 longtubes

'bird

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I finished installing the (cheap) headers the other day. I started it yesterday and besides the small leak that im going to fix this weekend it is loud.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts