TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install Tokico's on the front of my car and can't seem to find the answers here for a few questions.

1) Are they side specific. Different part #'s
2) I do want new mounts. Do they need to be drilled out to fit
3) What other hardware will I need. Bump stops?

Help appreciated.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
They are not side specific..

Stock or Aftermarket mounts do not need to be modified in any way for the shocks to fit them..

If you're buying them new, the bump stops come with them..It's underneath the Dust Cover..

The Top Nut for the shock comes with it, if buying new..

I can't think of any other fasteners you might need at the moment..I'll let the others chime in on that..

If I think of something else, I'll update this post..
:smile2:

Rayo..

·
Registered
484 Posts
strut mounts?(the things you can see around the shock bolt in the engine bay). I put new ones in my 175,000 mile car when I did new springs and shocks.

I also needed a spring compressor tool borrowed from autozone.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I replaced the front struts/shocks in my 96 tbird with monroe sensatracs. Its my winter car so didn't need anything high end, they are a pretty good shock to be honest, not very stiff but way better than the blown oems they replaced.

Anyway...

I would never try and replace them with the cheap spring compressors again. It was a total nightmare using them on the huge MN12 springs. Would really recommend just taking the entire assembly to a shop and having them use a wall mount spring compressor on it to change them out. I really thought the cheesy spring compressors were going to fly off or blow apart with all the tension they were under.

This was on a non sport suspension. I can't imagine how its even possible to do with the sport springs. I have done a few other cars and never had an issue. IDK our cars must have huge springs or something

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I would never try and replace them with the cheap spring compressors again. It was a total nightmare using them on the huge MN12 springs. Would really recommend just taking the entire assembly to a shop and having them use a wall mount spring compressor on it to change them out. I really thought the cheesy spring compressors were going to fly off or blow apart with all the tension they were under.

This was on a non sport suspension. I can't imagine how its even possible to do with the sport springs. I have done a few other cars and never had an issue. IDK our cars must have huge springs or something

I've done two sets of sport springs with a nice set of spring compressors.

This is BY FAR the most dangerous thing I've ever done, and I play with dangerous toys.

With sports, there's over 2200 lbs of force on the spring* at the point the assembly can come apart; if one of the compressors or springs fails, you're dead in a very painful way.

Find someone with a wall mounted unit at least. :)

*Front Sport springs are over 550lbs minimum.

Reactions: Chris_Murder
1 - 9 of 9 Posts