TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
I got them working now, there awesome! they light up everything really bright. thanks alot scott i really appreciate it. now here are some night pics after i got them working, they gauge surround was not on it yet so you can see light around the edges. this is with scotts LED strip.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Woah that's bright man. I'm not sure if I could drive at night with all that light. I should be able to get mine in by this fall, lots of stuff going on with the Bird right now.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I just recieved my 200 mph gauges today! Just kidding. Theyre 200 kph white faced overlay guages. The mph numbers are the smaller numbers that are in the original spots as the numbers on the stock gauges so there's no recalibration required. At first glance you would swear theyre 200 mph gauges though becuse the mph/kph letters are on the opposite sides of where they should be. Was wondering if I could just peel off the stock black faces and lay down the whites to change the color of the numbers with different colored bulbs instead of sanding the green paint off the back of the black faced ones. Anyone know?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yeah they look somthin like stickers. According to the instructions it talks about peeling off the backing of-em and using soapy water to get-em to stick on top of the existing guages. It didnt mention that in the ad. I'll just remove the black faces, peel the backing of the new ones off and lay-em on there.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
It's not a good idea to use colored bulbs especially LED's in the cluster. That will make everything in the cluster the color of the bulbs. If the faces are clear and you want a specific color what I use is lighting color gels. They are for photography to put over the lights to achieve different colors. I have a link in here somewhere for them or you can check on Ebay. It's just a very thin plastic that comes in a variety of colors, you could cut them to fit the faces and just put them behind the faces.

I got the latest ones I have at an actual photography shop in Tempe, they are 12 inch by 12 inch squares and are actually the exact blue I was looking for. I forget how I did it but it took me a long time searching to find the right blue that matched the blue LED's I was buying. I'm in Utah right now though so can't take a picture and don't know the name of them.

Something like this : http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=lighting+gels

·
Super Moderator
17,043 Posts
Yeah they look somthin like stickers. According to the instructions it talks about peeling off the backing of-em and using soapy water to get-em to stick on top of the existing guages. It didnt mention that in the ad. I'll just remove the black faces, peel the backing of the new ones off and lay-em on there.
Shine them into a light behind them to see if they're opaque or translucent where it shouldn't be(the white face). I wonder if they require the stock face for not only color but to block light bleed as well. If that's the case the 200kph overlay will need a factory 200kph face

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
www.customgaugefaces.com

His name is Scott, check out the examples and shoot him an email, he can do a lot of personalized custom things too.

·
Super Moderator
17,043 Posts
I had NR auto white face gauges briefly(I liked black better), those were basically identical in font and layout to the stock faces but the cool part was that they lit up through the lettering like stock as well, (custom faces illuminate around the text creating a block letter effect) They're also made out of a thicker plastic vs. paper. They still sell them for like $50 shipped from their site IIRC

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just curious if I get a 150 mph white face kit for a sho and put it over my stock 120 will I be able to have the speedometer recalibrated to the correct speed with the sho faces?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts

·
Formula 1 Freak
136 Posts
another thread resurrection!

I currently have indiglos on my 90 SC, and the install came out great. I did them about 10 years ago, and I've had zero issues with them. I also did my needles in red to get some contrast against the white faces during the day.

Now I want to install a 145 speedo, but I have been unable to find indiglos for a 145. I ended up buying the NR set from Andy's thinking they were indiglos because there was a link next to them showing how to install indiglos. The kit arrived yesterday, and I guess they even give you a tool to remove the needles. Kind of a bummer. I know I could have had the customs made, but they just aren't the same as indiglos. I might not even install the NR's. I've got a couple of cluster on the way, so I might experiment a little, but I'm not going to touch this current cluster in case I want to put it back in.

reverse switch/intensity pot cut into the dash, and flush mounted. Once in a while on a certain setting you can hear a slight high pitched sound from the pot, but the stereo drowns that right out!

I also found this carbon fiber bezel cover on ebay. The quality seems very good (cnc cut), and should be a nice addition, and if you're installing gauge faces, there isn't a better time to do the bezel cover if you're so inclined. They also make stainless, brushed aluminum, and anodized.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160941477967?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thread Resurrection...

I ordered a new set of Scott's gauges, black face, powerline font, white LED lighting for high contrast.

I fully understand the instructions EXCEPT the part to use tape to mark the locations. Can someone post a picture that works (None of the ones on this thread work anymore)to demonstrate that aspect please?

Thanks!

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
I would apply some tape to the cluster (the white part) and use a sharpie to mark where the needle rests. Look down the length of the needle in order to make the marks. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I would apply some tape to the cluster (the white part) and use a sharpie to mark where the needle rests. Look down the length of the needle in order to make the marks. Hope that helps.
Thanks, check back in a week or two, I'll have them installed.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts