TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best (cheapest) way to insure a modified car? I'm talking about a car with close to $30K invested into it. Is it possible to get coverage on such a thing? How do you guys cover all your mods?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Most insurance companies won't cover mods. If you need that type of coverage I think you need to go the route kit car builders do; get an apraisal and do an agreed value policy but be warned it aint cheap and they are very picky about who they write.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called State Farm and they said that I need to apraise the car and have the items listed that make the car expensive. Then she said for an extra $30K in coverage is like $600 more a year. That seems extremely cheap from what everyone has been telling me. Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think you can trust State Farm, if you follow their rules. Get it appraised and list ALL of your mods with their values. If you have it listed and they write the policy, you are covered.

If you miss something or list it incorrectly, you are outta luck. Just got to play their game.

I agree, 30K additional coverage for $600 a year sounds good. See if you can get a base quote for insurance first, so the additional $600 isn't added to some outrageous 'base' premium.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
mamberg said:
I think you can trust State Farm, if you follow their rules. Get it appraised and list ALL of your mods with their values. If you have it listed and they write the policy, you are covered.

If you miss something or list it incorrectly, you are outta luck. Just got to play their game.

I agree, 30K additional coverage for $600 a year sounds good. See if you can get a base quote for insurance first, so the additional $600 isn't added to some outrageous 'base' premium.
[/QUOTE

Exactly, My friend had a 1954 ford that he had insured through state farm... He took it to get looked at and they wrote down every LITTLE peice of info... and if they didnt has the right info for something done to his car they would look at the reciepts and talk to the dealer he bought it from.

it was about 400 extra a year for him...(extra 35 bucks or so a month) its worth it!! His car got broken into... busted glass (which was hella expensive for his 1954) took stereo, speakers, CUSTOM DASH!... took what they thought they could get money for...

when it came time to go to the insurence CO. they sent a guy out... he looked at the car... then straight up wrote a check for the largest amount he could for his policy.

state farm is good stuff.

MG

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They said it'll come out to $3K a year as a guesstimate. I will need to have it appraised first and then they could give me a more accurate (expensive) quote.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have my 92 insured for $8000 per year, $50 deductible and it only costs like $45 a month. I have State Farm for my insurance.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts