TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you insure the contents of a trailer when you are towing it behind your car?

Say I take my F100 with my trailer and pick up a used CNC milling machine valued at around $20K - $30K.

I have liability only on the F100, which also extends to the trailer, so if something happens, any damages to other people and/or property would be covered.

But what about the mill? How do you insure what you are transporting? :2huh:

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
You make sure that someone else owns it, and then if something happens, you have them put a claim against your liability coverage.

If it belongs to you, I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Why don't you just give your insurance company a call. I am sure they will tell you. :)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Depends on which side of the gate it falls off the trailer on...

It's a joke. :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
If memory serves the contents of your vehicle are generally covered under your homeowners policy. I believe that holds true for the trailer as well but for something as valuable as what you have there I would call my broker and verify that.

May pay to spend a few extra bucks just to get a rider on it for the one time trip.

Ira

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why don't you just give your insurance company a call. I am sure they will tell you. :)
Yeah, before I posted I called them, but only asked about the liability and if a trailer needed it's own coverage. They said yes to the liability (the trailer and everything is covered as an extension off my truck's coverage if it damages someone else's property), and no to the trailer needing it's own coverage.

I'm just headed north to pick up a tractor that is nowhere near the $20K value (more like $500) so it didn't really matter that much. I just was wondering after I had hung up with them, what if it was worth a bunch of money.

I'm pretty sure the homeowner's policy only comes into play if the vehicle is parked on your property, not mobile.

I may have to call them and find out just to know. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm pretty sure the homeowner's policy only comes into play if the vehicle is parked on your property, not mobile.

I may have to call them and find out just to know. :thumbsup:
It might differ depending on your carrier, but when they busted into my car a while back the contents, including what was in the trunk, were covered under the homeowner policy. Got reimbursed for a couple grand worth of household items the wife had in it.

Ira

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Check the contents coverage section of your homeowner's policy. There usually is coverage for an insured's property anywhere in the world, as long as it isn't x,y, or z that is excluded.

Edit:
Of course if it's for a business, that dollar value would generally be excluded. Might be a hard sell telling the adjuster you bought a $30,000 piece of machinery for personal use, but I've seen stranger scenarios get paid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts