TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:leftright Soon I will have the engine out for a rebuild...I have read alot of articles on the importance of port matching and polishing the intake components. would a 3.8 benefit from a quick polish on the intake manifolds and intake ports on the head??

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Just polishing alone is worth around 10hp, the 3.8L intakes are poorly cast and benifit greatly from polishing the runners. The Upper to Lower intake ports are pretty well matched from the factory and you shouldn't need to "port match" those, The Lower intake to Head ports are Pretty small on the Intake side and Can be opened up a Bit, the Head side is pretty close to matching the gasket as is.

the Key to porting the intakes is to remove JUST ENOUGH material to polish up the intake runners, NO MORE than that. The Key here is air speed and if you go too big you lose airspeed which hurts LOW END TORQUE. Polishing Helps straigten the Airflow further increasing Airspeed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info....Since I will have it apart I thought I would try just a couple of mods to maybe help with mileage and HP. I will also be radiusing all oil drain holes along with polishing the lifter valley for better oil flow back, Coating the piston tops with VHT temp coating and massaging a few other partsand cleaning up castings through the block. I thought I might also get a chip too. BUT do I have to run a higher octane to run these chips?? I have heard fordchip and rinehardt are the good ones. How much of an Increase would I see? To much else is out of the question since im in California with the Smog NAZI's.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
hey rancherlee...

i read in another thread that you recommend that we get our stock heads and intakes ported and polished instead of buying performance heads/intakes that are already P&P. how come you said no to buying performance heads/intakes? TIA.

mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
am in process of polishing the uppper. your saying the heads are pretty much gasket matched. because the lower intake i have the ports to the heads are smaller all the way around by about 2-3mm than the gasket. should expect and difference by matching and polishing the lower i hope. also should i send my chip back to get reburned for more fuel.

ryan

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Porting your Own intakes is easy, just time consuming.
Porting your own heads is NOT recommended, there are ALOT of things that could go wrong (Although quick polish job on the Exhaust ports on the heads won't hurt anything though, and you can do that yourself)

Porting = Removing material to RESHAPE the port/chamber
Polish = Smoothing the surface out to get rid of the "bumpies"

You shouldn't need to get your chip redone if you have a MAF engine, the MAF will "see" more airflow and adjust the fuel to compensate. With JUST P&P intakes.

with ported heads and a cam definately get the chip redone.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well I'm gonna have to resurrect this thread haha. So Rancher you're saying I NEED to get a chip if I wanna run ported heads, roller cam, and ported upper and lower intakes? But if I do just the P&P intakes I shouldn't need a chip? BTW I still want that lower from ya'.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
you really don't absolutly need a Chip, BUT I gained 12rwhp and 16rwtq from getting my car fordchip tuned after the heads, cam, and intakes thats a good gain from what the stock ECM was getting from the combo. Definatly start saving Pennies for a 3000rpm converter though!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Woah woah hold up on the converter man, I can only spend so much money before I'm broke! LoL All this porty polishy cam-ee stuff costs a decent coin, at least for me. I'll be lucky if I have enough money at the end of the summer to get a chip. It depends on how much of my stuff I can sell before I go to college. Also I guess I can sell my stock intakes and heads after I get the new stuff on... Also if you know of anyone that's musically inclined, I have an Ibanez 5 String Soundgear up for grabs in the for sale lol I need to get rid of this stuff. I found someone that wants my 10" JL too so that's good.

So as for the converter, are you saying that because I'll be making all my power in the higher RPMS? Jeez what kinda times you think I'd pull with all the mods in my sig, including all the "Future" stuff and a 3K stall-verter'?? Jeez I can hardly imagine going from what I'm at now to that... Amazing.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
put it this way, I'm running 16.4's now, with a 3000rpm converter I would expect 15.6 or better :) Naturally asperated. Install a smaller exhaust on my car and it would go 15.4-15.3's N/A ................ then there is the Vortech with 10psi :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
so you figure with P&Ped everything, new cam, rockers, exhaust, pulley, shift kit, K&N, chip, and 3K stall converter I would be running real low 15's?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
yep :) I've got the power/gears to run Mid-low 15's, but the stock converter is REALLY holding me back.

·
Registered
710 Posts
How much would a converter run ? I know the PI are like 900 but that is some BANK for one thing in my opinion... even if it does save over half a second on ET's... Damn I can't wait to beat a V8 down one of these days!!

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Hey rancher, what all did you have done to your car when you ran 16.4's? If you want you can PM me, I'm just wondering.

-Rod

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
a 3000 verter can save you .8 seconds in the quarter mile with p&p intakes and heads? That's amazing. Makes sense I guess. Maybe I'll just put up with the smashed door for the entire summer and do what I had originally planned. How much do you think a verter AND a valvebody from lentech would improve the ET with p&p intakes and heads and cam? I'm looking for cheapest way possibly this summer to get into 15's without going vortech or stroker...this summer that is.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
My 16.41 was done with
-RGR Full N/A heads
-home ported intake (done by me)
-RPM 206/215 cam
-underdrive pulley (for sale)
-3.73 gears
-OVER sized exhaust that is costing me ALOT of low end power.

Best 1/4 stock (silencer removed)
[email protected]
-2.39 60ft. (minor wheel spin)

Best with the Mods above
[email protected] best ET
[email protected] Best MPH (Spun BAD on the 1-2 shift)
-2.5 60ft. (SHOWS I'm missing bottom end torque)

My car seems to have No power till I hit 3000rpm, then it goes like a son of a gun.
I can Run door to door with a stock V8 bird from a 20mph roll (about 3000rpm in first) but they get a 2 car jump on me off the line.

Install a 3000 rpm converter and I Instantly have an Extra 30ft-lbs of torque off the line + torque multipication for more distance which means .5 second or BETTER off the 1/4 mile time. Several Stang automatics with similar mods as me have dropped an extra .6-1.0 seconds off there 1/4 mile by going to a 3000rpm converter!!!

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Well sounds like a torque converter is in my near future then :)
-Thomas

·
Registered
710 Posts
Go Thomas, it's ur birthday, go ME... It's my birthday... Go US, it's our birthdays!! So the birdies are gettin hooked UP this summer!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
rancher i hope your gonna have some good rubber once u have the converter on man youll roast those tires and your quartermile times seem slow wiht the mods you have done oh and the intakes can be done by yourself i did mine this includes buying the intak having it cut and welded back together 95$ man really cheap considering most guys charge an arm and a leg to do but i understands why its time consuming but to whomever is doing there intakes be sure to get as much as you can out of the throttle body throat

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I've got good rubber, 275/40/17 BFG KDWS's on the rear, My supercoupe couldn't even spin those ones off the line. I'm probibly going get Drag radials though or Hoosier quicktimes

1 - 20 of 32 Posts