TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a head swap for my 94 cougar, my problem is the lack of funding due to me being a college student. Is there any way i can use the stock intake?? I know this will limit the PI heads, but will it work until i can afford the intake and all the sensors to go along with it??

If not, can i use GT cams in my stock heads for a mild improvement

Thank you for any input.
 

·
Boost Happy
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
if you cant afford all this stuff get a set of 96-98 heads and put PI cams on thouse
and use a 96-98 intake it shouldt be a expensive swap , or get a set of pi heads and save up for the other parts you need , but if you switch to a 96+intake u will need different fuel rails and some extra parts .


Jurgen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,205 Posts
I say again, you can't put PI heads in 94-95 heads!!!!!!!! The cheapest alternative is to get 96-98 heads and install PI cams. You can still use your 94 intake, but you get a much better set of heads, and they will accept PI cams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
look around in your local pick apart yards,you can usally get a entire 96-98 CV longblock for like$300 bucks and you could use almost all the parts for your headswap and still have a bottom end,im just saying look around before you jusd go out and but $200 dollar heads,take your time

tom bogle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
I've got a set of '96 heads you can have.. I'm about to box em up and ship em to Renegade for core charge return...

make me an offer and pay for shipping and I'll ship em to you instead..


anyone else want em???? I gotta get em out of the garage and there gonna go somewhere....

They have 112,000 on em, but the car wasn't using oil when I took em of.... I see no visible wear or damage (I suppose I could do pix).... the car was pulling 207rwhp and running in the high 14's with them on, so I think they were working pretty good.....
 

·
Boost Happy
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
I say again, you can't put PI heads in 94-95 heads!!!!!!!! The cheapest alternative is to get 96-98 heads and install PI cams. You can still use your 94 intake, but you get a much better set of heads, and they will accept PI cams.
cant put pi heads in 94-95 heads? u must mean cams i take it , yea you can u just have to change the springs on the heads .but installing just PI cams on the 96-98 heads it wont be worth too much if he wants to go through all that work and gain 10-15rwhp , if he wants to do it right is getn the 96-98 heads P*P or a set of PI heads and he will make about 30-40+ rwhp caz the c/r goes up , by doing the P*P
on the 96-98 you will make the same power as pi's but keeping the same c/r.


Jurgen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,205 Posts
oops, yep, meant cams, sometimes my fingers work faster than my brain. I agree with you, but the port design is terrible as well on the 94-95's, so IMO, it's not worth putting valve springs in them, when you can get the 96-98 heads for cheaper than the valve springs. 10-15 hp is still horsepower, and It's not really that much trouble, considering it's cheap horsepower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Jurgen said:
if he wants to do it right is getn the 96-98 heads P*P or a set of PI heads and he will make about 30-40+ rwhp caz the c/r goes up , by doing the P*P
on the 96-98 you will make the same power as pi's but keeping the same c/r.
Jurgen
I don't know about 40rwhp with 96-98 pnp heads and PI cams??? that may be a bit on the high side expectation... I got just about 30rwhp more when I installed renegage PNP NPI's/PI cams and Kooks headers... and a Jerry tune, and I was darn happy with that...

I think JL got more or less the same increase with the same combination, maybe a bit more... he already had the PI cams in the NPI heads before the PNP was done and was getting 212rwhp with the non ported 97 heads and PI cam combination.., I think...

And are you saying he'll get 30-40rwhp increase with non ported PI heads just on the better flow and increased CR?? I don't doubt it, I'm just not sure I understand... Jim's got the PNP NPI's flowing better then ported PI's (much less non ported PI's), so most of that increase would be due to the CR....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
I say again, you can't put PI heads in 94-95 heads!!!!!!!! The cheapest alternative is to get 96-98 heads and install PI cams. You can still use your 94 intake, but you get a much better set of heads, and they will accept PI cams.
I beg to differ. I have a 94/ 95 intake with PI heads. All you have to do is port the 94/ 95 intake. Kind of like this:



A little elbow grease can save money...
 

·
Boost Happy
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
96 GoldBird said:


I don't know about 40rwhp with 96-98 pnp heads and PI cams??? that may be a bit on the high side expectation... I got just about 30rwhp more when I installed renegage PNP NPI's/PI cams and Kooks headers... and a Jerry tune, and I was darn happy with that...

I think JL got more or less the same increase with the same combination, maybe a bit more... he already had the PI cams in the NPI heads before the PNP was done and was getting 212rwhp with the non ported 97 heads and PI cam combination.., I think...

And are you saying he'll get 30-40rwhp increase with non ported PI heads just on the better flow and increased CR?? I don't doubt it, I'm just not sure I understand... Jim's got the PNP NPI's flowing better then ported PI's (much less non ported PI's), so most of that increase would be due to the CR....
on a 94-95 he should gain what i said ,
ask jerry about me i gained 42rwhp and 45rwtrq that was from the heads done by jim cams and jba headers and a 96+ intake ,
and as far as about the pi heads non ported i said he will gain about the same caz of the c/r increase and he will have a better intake , i am sure he will see at least 30rwhp from pi heads intake and headers , or P*P NPI with pi cams and a intake i am saying intake caz he will be switching to the center feed one .


Jurgen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Jurgen said:

on a 94-95 he should gain what i said ,
ask jerry about me i gained 42rwhp and 45rwtrq that was from the heads done by jim cams and jba headers and a 96+ intake ,
Jurgen
Like I said, I didn't doubt it, but forgot that you guys start a little lower on the 94-95 than I did with the 96 and the manifold swap will add more.... that makes sense...

I've got an SVO on back order.... when/if ford ever gets it to me... along with the '96 heads I may have a '96 manifold he can have

But if he doesn't speak up... the heads are goin to Jim... I'm sure he will find them a nice home... maybe with a KB and kooks....
 

·
Boost Happy
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
96 GoldBird said:


Like I said, I didn't doubt it, but forgot that you guys start a little lower on the 94-95 than I did with the 96 and the manifold swap will add more.... that makes sense...

I've got an SVO on back order.... when/if ford ever gets it to me... along with the '96 heads I may have a '96 manifold he can have

But if he doesn't speak up... the heads are goin to Jim... I'm sure he will find them a nice home... maybe with a KB and kooks....
i did make a little less power then you guys caz i had lowered numbers to beging with but i am right there , my short block ist too good , and the same thing happened with me you and jl our hp curve goes flat after 4k hopefully the 96 intake we got is a restriction and by you and jl getn a svo intake b4 me i will find out how much i will gain when i get to that .


Jurgen
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top