TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been plagued with an almost constant CEL for the past few months. 1997 4.6 t-bird, FTE1 ECM code, basically stock (see signature). I've had a Dennis Reinhart chip in it for almost 4 years, with no CEL's other than once for O2 sensors three years ago (all four got replaced). 165,000 miles, and the intake silencer has been removed since the day I brought the car home in 1999.

Anyway, the Ford dealer service tech is telling me that the P0172 and P0175 codes that were stored are because of the water that can get past the air filter because the silencer is gone, and that Ford even has a TSB to modify the silencer slightly to keep water out of the filter box. I have had a paper filter in it for the past two years, because I felt the K&N was oiling up my MAF, causing detonation issues, and I got tired of cleaning the MAF.

It's getting the 02 Mustang MAF and filter setup soon anyway, not that putting a silencer back in was ever an option all along.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard something like this. I know the silencers looked different on my 92 Sport and my 94 SC, but the filter boxes were basically all the same.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I had my silencer out for years, and never had any water reach the filter, let alone the MAF sensor.

The codes suggest you should check several basic things before going any further.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0171 bank (1) (cylinder #1) and DTC P0174 bank (2) indicate the fuel/air ratio is too lean. The fuel adaptive system is at the rich correction limit.

DTC P0172 bank (1) and DTC P0175 bank (2) indicate the fuel/air ratio is too rich. The fuel adaptive system is at the lean correction limit.

DTCs HO2S Reference list:

-- HO2S-11 = DTCs P0171 and P0172

-- HO2S-21 = DTCs P0174 and P0175

Possible causes:

Fuel system

-- Excessive fuel pressure.

-- Leaking fuel injector(s).

-- High fuel pressure.

-- Low fuel pressure.

-- Contaminated injector(s)

Ignition

-- Spark plugs.

-- Plug wires.

-- Coils.

Induction system

-- Air leaks after the MAF.

-- Vacuum leaks.

-- Restricted air inlet.

-- PCV system.

-- Improperly seated dip stick.

Base engine

-- Oil overfill.

-- Cam timing.

-- Cylinder compression.

-- Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S's.

l Check air intake for leaks, obstructions and damage.

l Check air filter, air filter housing for blockage.

l Verify fuel level.

l Verify integrity of the PCV system.

l Check for disconnected plug wires.

l Check for vacuum leaks.

l Verify customer did not run out of fuel.

l Are there any of the above concerns?

Yes
SERVICE as necessary. RERUN «Quick Test».

No
GO to «HA42».

·
Registered
367 Posts
yes there in a tsb on it. i seen it on alldata at school when i was on it. when i removed mine i used a piece of 3 1/2 pvc pipe and drilled holes in to to direct water flow out then i put a bypass valve on it just incase the filter got wet. but i dont have a air box on mine like like a short ram with the filter inclosed with plexi glass. now as for the codes i dont remember what they meant but i'll look them up

·
Registered
367 Posts
never mind rolling thunder got it, thanx rolling thunder

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i seriously doubt that any of that is causing the rich codes on both banks.....your MAF signal could be wacked, but still within operating range, or you could have a faulty fuel pressure regulator

i'd start by making sure your MAF is clean....very lightly rub the wires with the tip of a Qtip if your hands are steady enough, and check the fuel pressure at the rails and make sure its 39.5psi or very very close to that, with the vacuum hose off

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was gonna suggest cleaning your maf too. (its not so fragile as some say, but its not exactly tough so be gentile

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
im gonna go with a faulty regulator. I had an Aeromotive regulator for over two years and got the same CEL, i swapped out the regulator to an OEM one and havent had the code(s).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

I used to clean the MAF all the time, before I pulled out the K&N and went back to paper filters. Anyway, it's getting changed soon enough.

Might give me an excuse to get a fuel pressure gage.

Really, I want to make sure I don't have any unkown problems before I change over the the Mustang MAF and do the SCT flash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts