TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 4.6 yesterday my intake sprung a antifreeze leak I found a new one that has metal in place of plastic any tips on changing it out?

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Hey , If you want and pay for shipping ,I have a 1997 ford repair cd .
This will tell you most want to know if not all .

Pm me and I can try and help.

Oh yeah im going to be replacing my intake as well ,has a small crack

cjchevez
-------------

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
yes. Go on ebay and get the replacement manifold they sell for the 96-97 'birds. Its made by Doormann and has an aluminum crossover.

jospeh

·
Registered
586 Posts
Don't know what they go for on ebay but you can also get them at partsamerica.com for $199 plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
2 sets of hands are better than one. I did mine not too long ago. It is very very straight forward, and very easy. Remember to torque down the intake bolts in order and to specs.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Well I bought a replacement intake from ebay. was about 189.00 with shipping.

Bought it from

5TH STREET AUTO

3105 NORTH 5TH STREET

PHILADELPHIA, PA 19133

Already have tracking,should take a week to get shipped ups ground.

Has anyone bought from this guy Rich before ?

How is the quality?

Ill let you guys know if its was a good buy or not.

Kind of worried but we will see .

cjchevez
-------------

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
cjchevez said:
Well I bought a replacement intake from ebay. was about 189.00 with shipping.
I know it's too late, but you could have got it for less than half of that. I got mine for $75.00 used, but in very good condition.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
;) ;)
96dirtybird said:
I know it's too late, but you could have got it for less than half of that. I got mine for $75.00 used, but in very good condition.
Well I have to get it right the first time so new was the way to for me this time.

Thnks

cjchevez
-----------

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Hey 96dirtybird,

You didnt go with a pi intake ?

I was thinking about it but kind of got scared of using rtv since I live in socal .

The weather can get hot so I stuck with a npi intake ,going to install it myself .

By the way illini bird is doing the replacement right now he already had a ford repair cd .
Just thought you all should know.

cjchevez
-----------

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
cjchevez said:
Hey 96dirtybird,

You didnt go with a pi intake ?

I was thinking about it but kind of got scared of using rtv since I live in socal .

The weather can get hot so I stuck with a npi intake ,going to install it myself
Nope, just an npi. Many say it's easy, but I wanted straight and simple, so maybe pi down the road. And while I was in there, I changed all the gaskets, rad hoses, belt, plugs, wires, and misc vac hoses that were dried out. Worked out wonderfully, the birdie breathes just fine with the npi.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
illini bird said:
I have a 97 4.6 yesterday my intake sprung a antifreeze leak I found a new one that has metal in place of plastic any tips on changing it out?
I can help you through it if you need help. You can PM me with any questions. Where is Savoy???

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just finished swapping mine for a 98 crown vic (NPI) manifold with the aluminum crossover. I needed the newer alternator bracket, since the old (used with the 97 plastic crossover) bracket wouldn't fit.

The newer bracket has arms that go over the alternator to suport the plug wires, which we don't need. the driver's side arm also is about 1/16" away from the main alternator power lead (NOT GOOD), so I just trimmed both of the support arms off, and kept my plug wires under the alternator.

Dan Newman remembered the alternator bracket may be an issue, when I called him to order the gaskets. Some intakes already come with a seal for the throttle body, while my 97 and 98 intakes didn't. I used new intake and throttle body gaskets, although I would say the old ones were probably re-usable.

The EGR tube isn't too flexible, and it caused the most hassle interference-wise, since I left it attached at the exhaust manifold end. Otherwise, the whole job is simple and very self-explanatory.

You'll want a couple cans of brake cleaner, and you'll need fuel line disconnect tools. The manifold torque spec is 15-22 ft-lbs, but my Haynes manual. Other than that, no special tools needed.

It would have been only a 4-hour job, except decided I had to replace the tensioner pulley, and I had to go get one. That includes a lot of time spent helping other people in the shop I was working in, too. With the intake out of the way, it's a great time to do plugs, too, if you are due for a set.

Once again, Dan Newman was "the man". I told him what I was doing, and he sent me the alternator bracket, new thermostat housing bolts, O-ring, and a 180 degree thermostat, manifold and throttle body gaskets, and an alternator power lead extension that I ended up not needing (already had it).

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
illini. I got your phone message this afternoon. The stupid phone company can't seem to get the system to let us know we have voice mail. But I see you've already found out what you need. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts