TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been in the process of building my bird up for a little over a year. Taking my time with it, enjoying it for the hobby that it is.

I've come into a roadblock, and I'm not sure exactly what the issue is. I don't want to "hack it" (more on that later) nor do I want to throw a bunch of money where I don't need it.

After dropping the block in a was a bit surprised at the fact that the steering shaft wasn't "too" in the way with the gt40p headers..

I read all about the FR mod and some clearance issues but I haven't done it yet. The steering wheel turns just fine, the shaft sits on the headers..but hey. It turns for the moment :)

Now to the real problem.. I bolted up the upper intake, started hooking up cables and lines and such and when I went to bolt up my cold air intake it won't fit. The throttle body is too close to the side of the car. I am even using a 1 inch spacer on the intake and it STILL doesn't clear. The pictures don't show it very well, but the throttle body is so close I can't even use the silicone connector from the CAI kit. It bends the silicone.

So either my fox style intake with elbow is wrong and screwing up my placement, or the steering shaft has my engine sitting at a angle and I need to do the mod to get it in the proper location.. anyone??

your help is appreciated. I'd really like to get this project on the road.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I think the problem stems from the fact that you are using the early style cobra intake with the aftermarket elbow instead of the 94-95 intake.

-Miller

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I machined a wedge plate to adjust the angle of mine (albeit mine is a trick flow) to adjust the angle (the black wedge at the elbow). Mine was done for valve cover clearance though. MaddMartigan had one machined for his intake also. The intake pipe was not an issue on mine because i made it from scratch (it's aluminum.)

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
interesting, but i use a 94-95 cobra on mine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Header clearance

You better do something about the steering shaft clearance... When the engine starts rolling it won't be so easy to turn the wheel, let alone the shake issues and such with the contact. Dimple the headers or do the steering column modification (probably a better idea) or when you need steering the most you won't have it.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Unfortunately you can't use that intake with an elbow. The Cobra intake has the egr spacer built in so it's too long. The only possibility would be using a Fox throttle body w/o the aluminum elbow IF there is room for a 90* rubber elbow.

I'm using an Explorer upper w/o egr spacer just fine. It was a little tricky using the Explorer throttle body. I'm very pleased with the way mine fits. You could bolt an Explorer upper on your lower with a Fox throttle body. Or use an Explorer upper with the elbow and tb you already have. Or go the easy way with a '94/95 cobra upper.

http://members.cox.net/93tbird/intake/done!.JPG

Swapping on parts that don't fit is my idea of fun:D

·
Registered
825 Posts

I see you have a hole in your hood what are you planing with that:D what size TB are you using maybe you can get your elbow machined to help remove some of the length "or width" of your intake

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
It has already been said but to make one clear statement; that intake won't work for you. You needed the 94-95 Cobra intake not the 89-93 Cobra intake.

Here is my example of a different intake:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate the feed back.

I'll get the intake updated and adjust my steering. I expected to do the latter.

Soo...Anyone know of a 94-95 upper intake for sale?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Too bad you don't have a spare Fox throttle body to try a mockup with. I think a 90* elbow would give plenty of room. It worked on mine but don't have an egr spacer in the way. The egr spacer is built in your intake.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
thanks bryan, i am now watchingit

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
youll have the same issue

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
see the first post and picture , you dont have room for the throttle body and will have a double egr port

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.