TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6.5 componet set that I want to install and have a few questions.I know the doors take 5x7,will the 6.5 work with a little trimming?And if I install the cross overs in the trunk running from my amp will it hurt anything,like sound, being so far away from the actual speaker?These are going in my doors and I will be putting a good set of 5x7 in the back seat area.I will be using some good 12 gauge speaker wire.I am going to run them and my 5x7s off of one amp and my 10s off of another amp,that means I dont need to use any of the factory wiring,right?I am new at this so please be gentle on me.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
You should be fine mounting the crossovers in the trunk. It just means that you'll have to run two sets of wires to the doors.

In my 1995, the original 5 x 7 speakers were mounted to adapters. Looks like the hole in the door is set up for 6 x 8's. I made a wooden adapter to mount the 6 1/2" speaker to where the factory adapter mounted to the door. Try to seal all of the connections with some sort of gasket material to prevent air leaks (yes, I know it's a joke in a car door) and prevent rattles.

Probably one of the toughest aspect of the job is running the wire through the little boot that hides the wires between the door and body. I had to use a fish tape to complete the job. I mounted my crossovers behind the kick panels, but my crossovers were ugly (who wants to see that?) and relatively small.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
The big question is how and where are you going to mount your tweeters? There have been several people do different things. I of course think mine is the best. :D

But do whatever you want. BTW, since I blocked off my map pockets, I just put the crossover in underneath the top plate. No biggie.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw that....

That is a nice,clean install SW.I am thinking about going that route or mounting them in the grilles.Havent really gotten that far yet.Did you use fiberglass to do that or just epoxy and a sheet of plastic?Do those panel some off seperately or are they part of the door itself.
That is a smooth set up.Thanks,
Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts