TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an article in 5.0 magazine about a 3 valve swap kit for the 96-04 Mustang. There are mods to be made to the camshaft postion sensors and to the intake, other than that, its pretty much a plug and play deal for the Mustang crowd. I wonder how feasible this kit would be to use in an MN12?

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Hardly seems worth it with the heads and intakes now available for the 2v. If you are looking for more power than that, the coyote motor would be the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
10,404 Posts
Won't come close to clearing the hood either.
I've seen a bird with a phallic protrusion from the hood; that should be discouraged also. :)

At least it was covered in fiberglass, lol. RIP, Leland.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Mmmm 3v swap would be awesome IMHO. My buddy has the 06 mustang 5spd and put down 300rwhp with exhaust, tune, and cold air intake. A few guys on here have put down similar numbers with similar mods IIRC. (Embalmer?)

Where as 2v's struggle with 300rwhp N/A...

I read up a lot on the 3v swap. I think biggest set backs were hood clearance and either modifying a set of long tube exhaust manifolds or using your crappy stock cast iron manifolds with adapters. Oh and also changing to a returnless style fuel system? Can't remember exactly.. Other small problems where the VCT like you stated, electronic throttle body, custom intake tube, fuel injector adapters, and cruise control if you want it. Not exactly 'plug and play' but I'm sure lots of fun if you did it..

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Mmmm 3v swap would be awesome IMHO. My buddy has the 06 mustang 5spd and put down 300rwhp with exhaust, tune, and cold air intake. A few guys on here have put down similar numbers with similar mods IIRC. (Embalmer?)

Where as 2v's struggle with 300rwhp N/A...

I read up a lot on the 3v swap. I think biggest set backs were hood clearance and either modifying a set of long tube exhaust manifolds or using your crappy stock cast iron manifolds with adapters. Oh and also changing to a returnless style fuel system? Can't remember exactly.. Other small problems where the VCT like you stated, electronic throttle body, custom intake tube, fuel injector adapters, and cruise control if you want it. Not exactly 'plug and play' but I'm sure lots of fun if you did it..
I agree with you for the most part. The problems with that engine is not the engine but everything around it---being that it would be installed in an mn12 lol. All those little tidbits you mentioned are exactly why a stock 3V would never put down 300rwhp in an mn12 even if that same engine just did those #s an hour ago in a manual trans S197 one hour ago.

Its pretty much why 2Vs struggle with 300rwhp in an mn12. The same exact 2Vs have no such issues in sn95s. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I agree with you for the most part. The problems with that engine is not the engine but everything around it---being that it would be installed in an mn12 lol. All those little tidbits you mentioned are exactly why a stock 3V would never put down 300rwhp in an mn12 even if that same engine just did those #s an hour ago in a manual trans S197 one hour ago.

Its pretty much why 2Vs struggle with 300rwhp in an mn12. The same exact 2Vs have no such issues in sn95s. Go figure.
That's very true when the 5spd solid axle puts down 300rwhp the Mn12 will be closer to 270ish. But this is without touching heads and cams.

On the VCT, I have read a bunch of people saying that it was for more power and the 3v swap is 'worthless' without it but recently I found it is almost purely for emissions and fuel economy. Plus most 3v guys lock them out anyways after upgrading cams.

Here's a thread over on modular forums where it is discussed a little:
http://www.modularfords.com/threads/97178-3v-variable-cam-timing-and-effects-on-eng-performance/page1

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The swap kit addresses all of those issues that were pointed out, except for one, the returnless fuel system. The kit includes adapters for the exhaust, a new throttle body, brackets, wiring etc. So for the Mustang, it is pretty much plug and play.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
So if the 3-valves have VCT issues do the other engine too (5.0, 3.7, 3.5)?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I didn't write the article, I'm just relaying what was wrote. Logan Motorsports is the company that came up with the kit. At $1500 or $1800, with a tuner, not including the engine, it should pretty much be plug and play.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If you decide to go through with this the kit they sell us way over priced, piece it together and you can save alot. Hardest thing to get is the exhaust adapters but I think there is one guy in Texas that makes them for a decent price.. Can't remember who exactly but I'm sure he's not the only one.

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
That's very true when the 5spd solid axle puts down 300rwhp the Mn12 will be closer to 270ish. But this is without touching heads and cams.

On the VCT, I have read a bunch of people saying that it was for more power and the 3v swap is 'worthless' without it but recently I found it is almost purely for emissions and fuel economy. Plus most 3v guys lock them out anyways after upgrading cams.

Here's a thread over on modular forums where it is discussed a little:
http://www.modularfords.com/threads/97178-3v-variable-cam-timing-and-effects-on-eng-performance/page1
Yep I'd tackle the wiring job for the economy. The 3V already looks like a giant LSx, I wouldn't want the economy of one:tongue:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I would call it a issue if you spend the time and money to change heads and don't plan on using better cams, though if your one of those that will drop $1500+ on a stock engine and then stop for ~40hp. Personally I wouldn't I know I'm looking at ~$2k for my valve train on my SC, and know I will go from there.

I asked about the current platforms to see if this was just an issue unique to the out going design (a bandaid to help the 4.6 keep up before it went out), or stand issue.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I merely posted this because it seemed that it could be a viable replacement engine for our cars as well. I highly doubt that I would ever do the swap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts