TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was driving back home in my 96 CVPI on the interstate last night, and I rolled past a cop in a turn-around when I was going about 6 mph over, so I start hitting the coast button. The strange thing is that I bumped it a few times, expecting it to slow down only a little, but it slowed down much more than I was expecting.

It didn't take too long from there to notice that for each time I hit the coast button, the vehicle slowed by 1mph.

I thought this was curious, so I tried going the other way, and sure enough, for every time I bumped the ACCEL button, the vehicle sped up by 1mph.

For the last 20 min of my drive, I kept playing with this, and I found out how helpful it was. Say if you're going 65 and you want to slow down to 60, just bump the Coast button five times, and the speed will settle exactly at 60.

I've found that this trick doesn't work on my 95 LX bird though. I wonder if it's the newer computer, or if it's the P71 package on the Vic, or something else?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
My 94 T'bird and my 95 Cougar did not, but my 97 LSC does.

I can't remember if my mom's 96 Grand Marquis does or not.

But yeah, quite handy.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Pretty much every Ford car I've seen does that. My '90 does, look in your owner's manual.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
my 99 cvpi doesn't have cruise. :(

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
My 91 'Bird did that (when the cruise worked)

And every other Ford vehicle I've driven - 01 Ranger, 00 F150, and multiple years of Explorers.

Are you easily entertained Joe? :D

-Melon

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 91 'Bird did that (when the cruise worked)

And every other Ford vehicle I've driven - 01 Ranger, 00 F150, and multiple years of Explorers.

Are you easily entertained Joe? :D

-Melon
Hey, it makes for cheaper entertainment :D

I figured this would be one of those things that everybody but me knew. I was still excited when I found out...

Though now I'm curious why my Tbird LX doesn't do the same. Sure, it slows down when I hit the coast, but it doesn't slow an equivalent amount.

And Josh, I've never had enough money to actually buy a car with the owners manual :tongue:

EDIT: I might actually have the manual for my vic, I'll hafta check...

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
My 96 bird did that, 94 F-150 did it, 98 Mystique did it, 2001 Focus did, 2004 Mustang did...my 95 bird does not...have to hold the button.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't know it was that common.

But then again, I guess I grew up driving older vehicles. Until a couple years before I graduated, the newest vehicle we had on the farm was a 87 Ford truck, but I didn't drive that often.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts