TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to drive down to Minneapolis and have a friend of mine who does Transmission work look at my 97 Thunderbird, but here's what's happening...

If I'm on part throttle, the car seems to sit at 2000 rpm as it accelerates, just kind of glides up until it spins up enough, this seems to be mostly in second gear.

Also, if I'm sitting at say 40mph in either 3rd or 4th, and nail the gas, the car will spin up to 3000rpm, but the transmission doesn't seem to downshift, and the car will very slowly accelerate while the engine spins to about 3500 over a few seconds, then grab 2nd and accelerate with gusto. If I manually downshift to 2nd and nail the gas, other than the minor delay from going from 4th or 3rd down to second, it just gets up and moves.

I'm going to drain and refill the transmission, and have him look at the internals. I do have a transmission cooler behind the radiator, big plate type unit, but as far as I know no J-mod or aftermarket accumulator springs.

Should I start looking for a later model Mustang transmission, or do you think it's a simple thing?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,579 Posts
First thing I'd do is check the TPS. Put a voltmeter on it and open the throttle slowly, you should see the voltage slowly and steadily climb from ~ .9-1.0V at idle to at least 4.5V at WOT, without any jitters or spikes along the way.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Next thing to do is to move the cooler in front of the rad. Make sure it is piped in after the internal rad cooler for the tranny.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll grab the multimeter and see what I can see, and get the cooler mounted elsewhere.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Ditto the above & of course MLPS always suspect - I'd like to think your friend in Minneapolis could upgrade a few hard parts & fit a new TC to the good 97 case & hook you up vice a whole new Tranny.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ditto the above & of course MLPS always suspect - I'd like to think your friend in Minneapolis could upgrade a few hard parts & fit a new TC to the good 97 case & hook you up vice a whole new Tranny.
Depends on how much money I have to spend on parts I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts