TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem has perplexed me, mayboe someone can shed some light on it. When I drive my car, after the engine gets hot, my oil pressure will start climbing to the point where it is excessive. The check gauges light comes on. This only happens when the car is in gear. The temperature climbs as well to the point of overheating on acceleration.

Again, this only occurs when the car is accelerating. When I'm cruising or sitting all the gauges are in their normal range. Also, I can rev the engine in neutral all I want with no changes in engine temperature or oil pressure.

Anyone ever hear of something like this before?

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Chances are is that your sending unit is just on the fritz. Loose wire or something. The factory oil pressure gauge is a joke anyway. Check your oil to make sure it's not low or overfilled by chance and you should be good to go.

-Melon

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You might still have a problem since the temp gets hot as you mentioned. The Temp sensor is real, the oil pressure is a dummy - on or off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's interesting because I can sit in park all day standing on the gas and the temp gauge wont deviate from normal. It only climbs when the I accelerate. Oil level is fine. Also, I noticed that this problem is more apparent when the AC is on.

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
Check the voltage at the cig lighter when you accelerate; your system voltage may be climbing a bunch when you are over 2500 rpms.

That will cause exactly this issue. 18V sends all the gauges off scale. :D

Quality audio equipment turns off at these voltage levels, which is how I got involved...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will check the voltage at the cig lighter. I noticed that my volt gauge reads a bit low, that may be a symptom as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts