TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read several places that the last '97 came off the line Sept 4. I was looking at the core support tag on mine and it is dated August 21. I wonder how many were officially produced in the last two weeks? She turned 74k miles a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wish they would of made till 99 so it would be a even 10 years. I haven't checked my date, seems interesting I'll check it out.

·
Super Moderator
9,181 Posts
I wonder how many were officially produced in the last two weeks?
Look at the last 6 of your VIN (the sequence number) and compare that to the known number of 97s produced, then you'll know. :)

For example, the father-in-law's 97 (RIP) was sequence number 126. Mine is sequence 4439, rolling off the line 4 days later. That means his most likely rolled off the line on day 1 of 97 production - which was 7/29/96, Mine was 8/2. :)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I wish they would of made till 99 so it would be a even 10 years. I haven't checked my date, seems interesting I'll check it out.
They only would have needed to make them until 1998. My Thunderbird was built in the week before Christmas in December of 1988.

·
Super Moderator
10,407 Posts
I'm pretty sure all that info is on the door jamb plate; I took pix of mine, and imported the to the computer.

You have all the options, and all there. :)

EDIT: no exact date, only MO/YR.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm pretty sure all that info is on the door jamb plate; I took pix of mine, and imported the to the computer.

You have all the options, and all there. :)

EDIT: no exact date, only MO/YR.
You can find the exact day on the core support mine says 0117 for 01/17/97

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
No you don't wish that - MN12 and Panther where supposed to go FWD in 99 using taurus drivetrain - those where the stories told in 1996 car magazines...

·
Registered
966 Posts
No you don't wish that - MN12 and Panther where supposed to go FWD in 99 using taurus drivetrain - those where the stories told in 1996 car magazines...
I doubt Ford would ever do that. Our cars aren't set up for FWD, converting a RWD car to FWD car would be stupidly expensive, and wouldn't be ideal by any means. It'd be impressive to mount the 4.6 transversely with the front axle.

Maybe the Tbird would have went FWD, but not the MN12 platform.

If the magazines then were like internet stories today, if you make a story. People will believe it and spread it.

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
Sounds more like speculation told in car Magazines. Ford would have had the 1998 Panthers in the pipeline by 1996 and the Cougar was announced to move to the FWD Contour platform in 1999 with the 1997 MC2 concept(I even had a R&T magazine from from that time confirming it). Plus the Taurus by that point was fairly dead in the water itself, the 4th gen was a fleet special and it's basic underpinnings hardly chanced since it's 1986 introduction, and Ford was making buku bucks on the Explorer/Mountaineer and that's pretty much where all product investment was diverted to at that point

Before the MN12 became the MN12 however in the 80s, the intention was that. The Panther was supposed to be phased quietly out(hence the reason the LTD moved from the Panther to the Fox) and the successor to the 83-88 Tbirds would be Taurus based. That alternate scenario is pretty much what played out for GM... Which went well :tongue:

I doubt Ford would ever do that. Our cars aren't set up for FWD, converting a RWD car to FWD car would be stupidly expensive, and wouldn't be ideal by any means. It'd be impressive to mount the 4.6 transversely with the front axle.

Maybe the Tbird would have went FWD, but not the MN12 platform.
The 96-02 Continental has a transverse mounted DOHC 4.6, it's based on the Taurus platform ;)

·
Registered
966 Posts
The 96-02 Continental has a transverse mounted DOHC 4.6, it's based on the Taurus platform ;)
I know, I guess what I put isn't really what I was trying to say. they'd have to redesign the front half of the car to make it work is what I was getting at. The K member would have to be modified/remodeled, the transmission tunnel would need flattened, redesigned suspension to allow CV joints. Plus we don't have much space between the shock towers like the Continental does.

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
Yeah I think he was referring to the name moving to the Taurus platform, not the drivetrain moving to the MN12. Only car I know of in the history of automobile that has ever switched between transverse FWD and longitudinal RWD on an existing platform was the Rover 75.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
171051 is mine. It's my understanding that they were not necessarily in numerical order as they came off the line. Some special ordered cars may have been out of sequence. Anyone know what the last vin was?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts