TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im guessing this is a tranny issue.

it seems that the tranny tunnel and my center console are warmer than normal. i have a tranny cooler, and i didnt install the carpet padding surrounding the tunnel when i swapped to a mark viii carpet. shifting seems normal. i was told that ford installed insulation in the tranny tunnel to block heat from getting into the cabin, yet i didnt see any insulation on my 93 when i pulled the drivetrain.

would the padding make that much of a difference, or am i on the verge of a failing 4r? not having a/c and this issue are not a good combo in a black car with black seats IN houston!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
not having a/c and this issue are not a good combo in a black car with black seats IN houston!
then fix the a/c already... :)

Being in SWFL I don't know how i got by as long as i did before fixed mine. I replaced everything in the refrigerent loop except the compressor manifold and the evap core. Both of which i flushed out with alcohol and compressed air.

anyway, did you notice increased temps as soon as you swapped the carpet and padding out?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im working on it. i got a guy helping me next week with it. replacing almost everything after locking up the compressor :(

i didnt notice it right after. it gradually got warmer. it doesnt seem normal for it to get that warm in there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It seems most cars get warm in that area when it gets warmer out, not saying you should rule out this as a sign of a problem but it seems normal to a degree. But if its not normal for your car, have you considered it might be an exhaust leak?

·
Registered
798 Posts
My 95 Cougar doesn't get warm at all in that area, with stock trans (slippage anyone?) and no cooler.
My 94SC gets hot enough to feel it if you put your hand above the trans tunnel. :confused:

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
mine does and I'm in AZ. I put a huge trans cooler on it and its still warm by one leg in the summer time. I also thought I felt it was coming from the exhaust manifolds seriously its like my heater is on all the time sometimes it gets so hot. So you're not the only one Big Mike feelin heat. I'm purchasing a set of ceramic coated manifolds to combat underhood temps. A trans cooler also helps too.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have the center console out of my 89, and the spot under the console at the very back does NOT have any carpet or the "blanket" the rest of the interior has, and after about 12 minutes of driving that spot is hot enough to leave marks on skin that touches it. Ask my elbow! It gets smokin hot, and I don't think it is an problem with the tranny getting over temp, just the way it is.

·
Super Moderator
10,667 Posts
Before my tranny died a couple of years ago, it baked the inside of the car pretty well.

It was still warm the day after I drove it up on ramps to change it out; The mercon was hotter than a normal shower, for sure. :)

The torque converter and all clutches were slipping by then...but it got me home, anyway.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I noticed this too. I was actually thinking of a way to insulate the tunnel because its really annoying having one leg and arm sweating. I picked up my portable HD (which I plug into my usb port) today and it was really warm from just sitting on the center console.

I have a ton of fatmat(cheaper dynomat) laying around and wonder if it might help? Any thoughts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts