TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing a lot of snow and Ice lately as well as driving 13 hours in it.Today when i got in my car I saw a few drips on the passenger side mat.After making sure it wasnt antifreeze i tried to figure out where it came from any ideas? I waas thinking maybe the cowl under the wipers or maybe the windshield.Any points in the right Direction would be great.

·
The Parts Guy
7,306 Posts
From what I remember, there was a problem with some of the earlier MN12's that wasn't revised until 96 or 97. The HVAC fresh air intake under the passenger side wiper cowl could allow water to enter the cabin. I know there are a few posts on this topic on this site, but it may take a while searching for it.

These pictures should illustrate the factory fix for this issue. The early HVAC inlet is circled in yellow in this picture:

And the revised HVAC inlet is circled in yellow in this picture:

If you need the revised piece, just send me an email about it at [email protected]. I should have one here. As far as I know, you should be able to swap that piece directly onto your car.

-Rod

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gotta check that out just had to do all my ball joints lost the driver side upper in my driveway it was just sitting there and whamo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to get to it this weekend and I have the revised piece in there I couldnt get it out to reseal the lip so i went around the area where I saw moisture and sealed it with sicon adhesive hopefully this does the trick.Is there any other spot it could leak at??

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Clean the drain gutters , when these get clogged , the water starts flowing through the fresh air intake

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
first take the windshield wipers off , then take the black cowl off , you will find the drain holes on each end , on mine , these were totally clogged with dry leaves and dirt , , I used a screwdriver to take all the dirt out and followed with a good flush with the water hose ,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where are the drains I didnt se them I am getting a small leak still.I am not sure how to remove. The fresh air stack to reseal it properly.From what I can see in the interior it's leaking from the joint where the air box meets the fan housing.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Pull the cowling off and check around the vent inlet on the passenger side. The drain tube opening should be there somewhere ( cleaned mine so long ago I can´t remember exact location ),chances are it is hidding behind a lot of dirt and dry leaves when it gets clogged and allows water to build up it spills over into the vent opening.you can also run water with a hose into the pit under the cowl and see if it fills up and starts spilling over the vent , if water flows out under the wheel well , then your leak comes from somewhere else .

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Water leak bump!

Happy Memorial Day to All!

My 91 has had a interior leak for years but it lives in the garage, I had the garden hose under the cowl yesterday and found the corner on the passanger side- behind snorkel (for the hvac) is at least 1 leak. What have you guys used to reseal the areas under the cowl? I also want to cut the adheisive around the snorkel, remove and reseal that -do I just cut the old stuff with a razor knife and pull it off or is there somthing I'm missing? It is the updated style, I just don't want to break it.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tim

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just a suggestion. There is a product at your local lumber yard called QUAD. It is really good at sealing leaks. Roofers use it all the time around here. It can be applied in the rain, and it WORKS. It's about $8.00/tube here. WARNING!!! It is sticky, so keep your fingers out unless you have some WD-40 handy to clean your hands up !!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts