TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CEL on my 95 3.8 LX comes on intermittently while driving, then goes back off. This has been happening for several years. At first, I got all kinds of crazy codes, so I replaced the MAF and the problem went away for about a year. Then it started happening again (the codes were all fuel trim related) so I replaced the oxygen sensors, and it happened less frequently. The codes I am currently getting are 172 and 181 (HEGOs stuck lean banks 1 and 2) and 176/189 (adaptive fuel limit rich reached banks 1 and 2). I don't think it is HEGOs since they are less than a year old and BOTH sides are showing the same problem. I have checked the MAF and TPS, both are good, and I have also cleaned the throttle body, decarboned the intake, and replaced the lower intake gaskets, no effect. Also good fuel pressure, newer fuel filter and no vacuum leaks. The car runs great, except for pretty poor gas mileage (15-20 vs upper 20's a few years ago). My 90 SC which I drive hard gets better mileage. I run premium gas and have tried several different brands. Any ideas? I can't think of anything else to check, every test procedure in the ford service manual for these codes has checked out ok, and I can't think of what else to look for.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
the poor gas mileage is because it's probably running in safe mode with those codes. are your injectors firing properly? im way to tired to look up those codes tonight, but i would try to track it down more, unless you like safe mode.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cylinder balance tests ok. I don't think it is in safe mode, as all the cars I have diagnosed that wre in safe mode had a major malfunction (MAF, for example), codes out the wazoo, and ran like crap. Plus I've never seen a car go into safe mode off of fuel trim codes. I have followed the diag procedures per Mitchell On-Demand and the Ford service manual, and it checks out ok. I'm thinking it is something wierd tricking the computer, like a coolant temp sensor, but even that would trip a code if it was acting abnormally. Stupid OBDI.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
mine ran in safe mode when i was told by the computer it was running rich on one side, and lean on the other. thats why i suggested it. but who knows?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey there, I had a similar problem with a 172 code. I thought at first it might be a bad oxygen sensor but it checked out OK. The problem was a bad spark plug wire which I replaced and no more code 172.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds like just the wierd cause I am loking for. Did it miss with a bad plug wire? My wires aren't very old, but I have seen wires less than six months old arc so bad they looked like a fireworks show. Cheap wires, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts