TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 95 SC for maybe five years now. The AC used to just stop working, usually after acceleration. I assumed the computer would stop the AC for the acceleration, then fail to start it again. It would usually come back after a restart.

Fast forward. I replaced the climate control unit in the dash with NOS. Worked great for a while, then the blend door actuator died. I replaced that (fiddley) and it worked great, again!

I now think it was always the actuator, first intermittent, then complete fail. Climate control was just coincidence, I think.

Fast forward to this Spring. I went out for a COVID cruise, and lo and behold, the climate fan just wouldn't work. I assumed it was a fuse and went back home. Started it the next day, and it worked great, again! But the other day the fan would stop. Then start again. Then stop. The compressor was cycling fine, and cool ram air came into the cabin. So it seems to be the fan. Seems like a short or ground issue. Turning the fan control (auto, low, high) seems to cause or remedy the problem, but not always.

The frustrating thing is it is so random that I haven't been able to get a code with the BIT diagnostic (yet).

What's my question? Any ideas where to wiggle something or to look? ~70k miles, NOS climate control, new blend door actuator, compressor works fine.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Look behind the glovebox for a black box with a 2 wire plug (orange/black I think). That is the fan controller. They are known to have burnt terminals at the plug. This was the problem in my 94.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look behind the glovebox for a black box with a 2 wire plug (orange/black I think). That is the fan controller. They are known to have burnt terminals at the plug. This was the problem in my 94.
Will do! thanks, will let you know

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,518 Posts
Same problem in my LSC. The connector and terminals at the PWM controller leading to the fan itself show signs of arcing due to a poor connection.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
They're 25 years old, and are bad mostly due to the fan motor bearings going bad. (Draws more current)
They may not be squeaking yet, but they will. :)

If you're doing anything, replace the fan motor as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts