TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a bugging problem here, my 94 LX sometimes acts up (once a day, give or take) and takes around 6-7 cranks before firing up compared to the usual 3 cranks. The strange thing is the engine runs and idles perfect, no stutters, hesitations or surges.

The cranking sounds strong so that more or less rules the battery out, what other components may cause this intermittent condition?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've got about the same problem.

Most of the time mine does it w/ low fuel when it's cold. It always starts easy when warm. Just a lil cold natured from time to time. It's usually worse when low on fuel.

I've checked a few things, the fuel system seems to be holding pressure, the air filter is new. new plugs and wires too...

For now it's a minor annoyance. If it gets worse I'll get serious about fixing it. I was hoping that basic maintenance would do the trick, but no luck so far...

:D

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I was told by a Ford Technician, that there is a one-way valve (check valve), that holds the fuel pressure in the fuel rail . They can develope a slow leak, allowing the pressure to lower, resulting in a longer start time.

However, I have not seen too much posted about this.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
This valve built into the pressure regulator? How much is a fuel pressure regulator for our cars anyway? Thanks
-Rob

·
Registered
286 Posts
IIrc there's also a checkvalve in the fuel pump assy. When engine's hot, my fuel system loses pressure in 30 minutes or so, and I have to run the fuel pump with a "prime" button for 5 secs before cranking. Then it fires on the first rev. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd find the leakdown source. Strangely enough, when the car sits idle for 6+ hours, the fuel system needs no prime. Mine's a 92 TC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, looks like I'm not the only one here with that problem. Mine's a 96 4.6L & I remember the service manager at the dealership a year or so ago saying something about starting probs with fuel regulators being the culprit. I checked the pressure & I'm getting about 30 psi at startup & 23 psi at idle. That seems a little low to me, but I don't know what the pressure is supposed to be. Anyone got an answer?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
My pressure is at 30-35 PSI idle, last time I checked anyway(about 2 months ago).
-Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts