TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched for anything like this but didn't turn anything up. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

The other day I decided to change my distributor cap and rotor, as well as the coil. During the repair, I ended up damaging the mounting bolts for the cap on the distributor, resulting in having to replace the distributor. I ordered the part, put it on, and set the base timing. My car is a 91 cougar, and has computer advanced timing. I removed the jumper, set the base timing, and then replaced the jumper. The engine ran great, until I shut it off.

When I went to start the engine again, it wouldn't start. Remove the jumper, and the car starts perfect on base timing, but doesn't run very well. Once the car is running, you can put the jumper back and the timing advances and you can drive the car.

After getting it started, the engine stopped and started a number of times perfectly before eventually going into a no start situation again. Removed the jumper, and the engine started perfectly.

I'm at my wits end with it. Does anyone have any ideas? Here is a list of the new parts on the engine pertaining to the electrical system:

Alternator (upgraded to 3G)
Spark plugs
Plug Wires
Dist. Cap
Dist. Rotor
Distributor
Ignition Coil
New Battery

Thanks for your help,
Stephen

·
Registered
390 Posts
timming

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched for anything like this but didn't turn anything up. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

The other day I decided to change my distributor cap and rotor, as well as the coil. During the repair, I ended up damaging the mounting bolts for the cap on the distributor, resulting in having to replace the distributor. I ordered the part, put it on, and set the base timing. My car is a 91 cougar, and has computer advanced timing. I removed the jumper, set the base timing, and then replaced the jumper. The engine ran great, until I shut it off.

When I went to start the engine again, it wouldn't start. Remove the jumper, and the car starts perfect on base timing, but doesn't run very well. Once the car is running, you can put the jumper back and the timing advances and you can drive the car.

After getting it started, the engine stopped and started a number of times perfectly before eventually going into a no start situation again. Removed the jumper, and the engine started perfectly.

I'm at my wits end with it. Does anyone have any ideas? Here is a list of the new parts on the engine pertaining to the electrical system:

Alternator (upgraded to 3G)
Spark plugs
Plug Wires
Dist. Cap
Dist. Rotor
Distributor
Ignition Coil
New Battery

Thanks for your help,
Stephen
ur timming is off, base and cap.check the timming from the sticker under the hood,u may have moved it ,by bypassing and something thats not solving ur problem thats just checking to see if something is wrong or not working.go over what u did with the dis cap n rotor slght movement will throw it off.have a timming light handy to re adjust. i did mine a few years back untill i got distribuless with my scs. just my 2 cents.also check the haynes,chilton or factory books.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the timing was set back to base timing after the distributor was changed. the car starts and runs fine on base timing. but the problem is... when you put the jumper back in place to activate the pcm timing advancements, the car won't start once you shut it off. it's almost like the pcm is unable to advance the timing of the motor, making it unable to start. any input would be nice

Stephen

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
The ECM actually pulls the timing back (retards it) when the engine is cranking cranking, it doesn't advance.

I think your timing is too far retarded and when the car retards the timing farther during cranking, it can't start. Either that, or you have a plug wire out of sequence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts