TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car: 1993 Tbird LX 5.0 auto.
Developed a no start condition (cranks but no start) checked the usual suspects, coil has has spark, ignition module and pip work based on negative signal from coil connector, new cap and rotor, noid light on injector plug works, checked eec relay, fuel pump relay and inertia switch and all checked out fine,fuel pressure fine.
But the part that has me perplexed is when I turn ignition tumbler to run position to listen for fuel pump prime, the pump prime can be heard way longer than 2 to 5 seconds. Sometimes cold start it will prime for as much as 30 seconds to over a minute and then stops.
At that point I turn key to start and she’ll turn on fine with great idle and drives normal anywhere.
When I turn off ignition and immediately turn key to run I can hear prime for 2 seconds then she fires right on.
If I let her sit longer that 20 minutes or so the prime sequence extends past the 2 seconds and will prime for whatever time it takes to stop of which then she’ll fire up. She won’t fire up during priming sequence though.
I’m a bit stumped, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts
There is no pressure sensor; so the only thing there is the EEC. It it isn't timing the prime, it isn't doing other **** either.

That's where I'd start.

·
Super Moderator
9,363 Posts
Based on my impression of your description, my 97 does the same thing. Different PCMs, I know, but I've pretty much isolated the problem to the PCM itself. Mine isn't quite as severe, I just need to wait the extra 5 seconds or so on the first startup of the day for the PCM to finish "booting up" before I try to start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts