TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 yr old Lab got out of the yard yesterday, so I jumped in the 97 Cougar (164400 miles) to check the perimeter of the neighborhood before we started searching house to house. I ran it kind of hard for a couple of miles, went back to the neighborhood and pulled alongside my daughter, who was dropping by. We sat there for a couple of minutes and she said, "what is that noise?". I got out, didn't hear anything, then a clatter arose that lasted for a few seconds, then went away. Drove back to the house, and let it idle and the noise would come and go. Let it sit overnight, then cranked it this morning. No noise for a while, then it started the intermittent clatter. Put a vacuum cleaner tube against the RH valve cover and its definitely valve train related. Could this be a lash adjuster getting ready to go? Doesn't seem to follow rpm, just intermittent at this point. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Check your idler pulley , I thought I was having valve train noise as well come to fine out it was the pulley going bad . Per our crew chief RobertP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Never Mind

Like Rosanne Roseannadanna always says - it's always something....only in this case .....not lash adjuster.....it's the AC clutch. Thanks anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts