TCCoA Forums banner

intermittent wiper's not working on my 73 bird.

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  55f350 
#1 ·
Like the title says.
If some can remember how the old wipers work, mine are not working properly.
Its the dash style knob, two clicks to the right, and you get slow and fast.
a click to the left is the intermittent side of the switch. All I get is slow speed on that side.
Also, when I used to switch the wipers off, they would lay down under the hood where you cannot see them, it would also not matter where the wiper was(i.e. in the middle of a whipe)...but now, when I click them off, it will stay in the middle of the windsheild....I have to cath it at its lowest point to stop them...but this is still no good, as the wipers are now in my field of view.

Do I need a new switch, or is there a series of relays, and one might be out.

any help is appreciated.

#3 ·
I may have the factory manuals and wiring diagrams for the 73's. I know I have it for my Cougar, but I think the manual also covers all the cars for 73. The book is about 8" thick!!! :beek:

If I can find them I'll see if I can research how the wipers work. Is it any special model or anything?

#5 ·
I haven't forgotten you! I sort of found the manual.... I can see it, but I'll have to dig to get to it. :rofl: Sad, so sad... too many boxes of car parts in my storeroom (i.e. third bedroom) that I can't get to half the stuff without major effort. :leftright

I need to do some house cleaning anyway, so I'll use this as an excuse to get off my lazy arse and do something constructive. :D

I'll PM you sometime over the next few days and let you know what I can find out about the wiper system. I'm guessing there is a position sensor somewhere that has lost a ground or failed. I know on my 73, grounds (or the lack thereof) is a MAJOR problem with the whole electrical system.

#6 ·
No rush Don :)
And thank you for taking the time out of your day for me.

I actually found a wiper switch at Napa, but I don't want to start throwing parts at it, when it could be something as simple as a ground, or dirty contacts internally in the switch.

#7 ·
I really doubt it is the switch. There has to be something on the mechanism to let the switch know "where" the wipers are.

And no problem!! I needed to clean that disaster area of a room anyway. Weapons may be invovled.... :beek:

#9 ·
I found the manual. The system is pretty simple. I'll PM you with the details.

#10 ·
i was gonna say breathe deeply on the price of the dash mounted wiper switches !!!!! i am putting them and newer wiper motor etc. in my 53 , and the cheapest i could find locally new was for a mid 70's ford 1/2 ton and it was 80 bucks !! the local parts houses just cringe when you ask about the ones for a ford car ......... outside of the wiring codes lo and behold i figured out that 80 's era trucks and cars use the same switch ................................. junk yard scrounging time !

#11 ·
I doubt there is a switch problem. On my 76 Mustang they would not park. It was not a problem with the switch, from what I remember (30 years ago) I pulled the cover off the motor and found some metal tab out of place. It allowed power to the motor until they parked, so when the switch was off they stopped in the park positon.
It was a no cost fix

#12 ·
funny yall replied.....as I was about to relpy that they quit working again.

Don PMed me with some stuff to check, and I just have not had the time to check it.

55f350 ~ thanks for the tip.

Dusty ~ I'll check that out as well.

Thanks guys.

#13 ·
dusty you just reminded me i have the remains of a mustang 2 of the same vintage sitting at my unks farm ... guy bought it , never picked it up ... that was a 6-7 months ago i think ..... hmmmm time to go relieve it of some parts ..............:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.