TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When turboing a 4.6 or even a 5.0, I would have to use forged pistons or lighting pistons and forged rods. would i need a forged crank too?

and I was also wondering if the cobra internals would be ideal since its supercharged to begin with.

a stock 4R70W would hold up?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
When turboing a 4.6 or even a 5.0, I would have to use forged pistons or lighting pistons and forged rods. would i need a forged crank too?

and I was also wondering if the cobra internals would be ideal since its supercharged to begin with.

a stock 4R70W would hold up?
Depends on how much power you want to make.

David

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I've always tried to "over-build" my hi-po engines... within reason anyway. The idea is that's it's easy to dial-down the power from there, and much harder to "turn up the wick" on an engine that's already operating past, at, or very near it's own limits.

For instance, if you plan on running 12's in the 1/4....build the engine to run 11's with your car. From there you can throttle-stop it or soft-limit the RPMs to let the car only hit your target of 12's. Granted, the $ difference between 12's and 11's is a considerable amount, but you gain longevity. It's doesn't make a lot of sense sinking say $3,000 (not including the proper tune on a dyno) into the engine every year for 5 years in a row when spending $5,000 the first time could last 5 years or more.

I'm sure the stock parts will work in your situation, at least for a time. But getting the good stuff in there first will help ease your mind about the engine's longevity....and ultimately save you $ in the long run.

Nobody in their right mind turbo/super/nitrous charges a car only to baby it around the block once a month or just to the grocery store and back, right? ;) lol

Just another perspective to think about. Either way you go, good luck with the project and keep us informed!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
a 4.6L has weak hyperutectic pistons and powder metal rods. They can survive under 400hp but there on borrowed time. They may give at any time with or without detonation. Thye crank is good for 600hp and the block can withstand over 1000+. The factory blown applications like the; terminator cobra, lightning, shelby, and GT have forged internals. 5.0s have good internals depending on the year/application however the non mexican blocks split and crack at the 400-500hp levels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts