TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want a sc but i was told by someone that the insides of the 3.8 arent all that beefy....and they like to break......whats the supercharged 3.8 insides made of?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Most SC's can handle up to 300rwhp before they have to be rebuilt. That is the general consensus. Some die at 250rwhp, but it is my belief that is due to bad tunes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
From what I've heard, I agree with JJ. Most stock bottom ends will get to the 300 mark before problems. They actually use hypereutectic pistons and the early 89 models had a cast crank (those are very prone to breaking). The forged crank is pretty solid (heavy as hell, a 3.8 SC short block weighs more than a 302 with cast internals, I found that the hard way). The N/A 3.8 crank and pistons are cast but the rods are still forged, (Ford has used forged rods since the 60s in all their V8's I would be surprise to see cast ones in any modern engine) the difference is that the SC rods are thicker on one end (dont remember which end). This is laid out in more detail on www.supersixmotorsports.com 's article

·
Registered
90 Posts
i was told by someone that the insides of the 3.8 arent all that beefy....and they like to break......whats the supercharged 3.8 insides made of?
The SC 3.8 short block is very stout in stock form and will easily handle 300 rwhp, add some better rods and pistons and your good for 400 rwhp.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts