TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I don't believe you"...

"You are a liar"....

In everyone's opinion, do those mean the same thing to you?

I look at it as "I don’t believe you" does not necessarily mean you are a liar.

IMHO, being a liar means you are knowingly telling a falsehood. Where as, if I don’t believe you, it just means that, while I may not believe what you are saying, it does not necessarily mean that it is not true.

I’m just curious to know other people’s opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
789 Posts
I agree,

"I don't believe you" leaves the one who is wrong as open.

"You are a liar" is a statement of fact.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Well "I don't believe you" implies that the person you are talking to is telling you the wrong thing. Its not as aggressive as "You are a liar" but it still puts the person on the defensive mode. I think "I don't believe that" would be a better way to say it to avoid offending them, since that just implies that the information is wrong, not the person saying it. Of course, this is all splitting hairs, and people shouldn't get offended so easily, but if your goal is not to offend the person while conveying that you think what they just told you is wrong, that's how I would word it.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
It's a passive-aggressive way of saying "I don't think you know what your talking about!". Especially if you use that little blue rolling-eyes smiley face that you like to use a lot. ;)

Not as bad as calling them a lier but either way those are fight'in words to some...

·
Super Moderator
10,649 Posts
"I don't believe you"...

"You are a liar"....

In everyone's opinion, do those mean the same thing to you?

I look at it as "I don’t believe you" does not necessarily mean you are a liar.
"I don't believe you" is a flat statement of fact; the other is an accusation.

A lack of faith in another can be based on a wide range of things, from "I'm a conspiracy nut and you're one of them!" to "Mother always warned me not to believe strangers." Neither of which is casting aspersions on someones character, by calling them a liar.

Down here, "You are a liar!" is fightin' words...unless you want that as a reputation.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
boy did that ever confuse the crap out of me. i hit the wrong thread. i wanted to know about mufflers and i got a bunch of philosophy. hey and i just got what a philosophical question is: its a question about philosophy. and guess what else? i spelled those words right the first time too. i'm on a roll now. oh ya... mufflers:eek:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Somebody tells me they don't believe me it tells me that I haven't presented enough evidence or haven't clearly stated my position. They call me a liar and the discussion portion of our program is over. :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts