TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an interview today, first 'real' interview in years, where they ask all the dumb questions;

"Why should we hire you, What mistakes have you made in the past and what have you learned, If you were a fruit what kind of fruit would you be" and so on.

Aurgh, I probably bombed the interview - hopefully some of the dumb questions were just to throw me off and see what my reaction would be.

All this for a dumb assed trucking job :leftright:.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Kevin said:
Just had an interview today, first 'real' interview in years, where they ask all the dumb questions;

"Why should we hire you, What mistakes have you made in the past and what have you learned, If you were a fruit what kind of fruit would you be" and so on.

Aurgh, I probably bombed the interview - hopefully some of the dumb questions were just to throw me off and see what my reaction would be.

As an interviewer, I ask questions like that just because some ding bat asked me those when I was hired. :D

I like the classic.. "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" What we'd like to say is... "Boss of this company so I can fire your a** for asking so many stupid questions."

·
Registered
987 Posts
When I managed a restaurant I loved interviewing people... My questions weren't stupid like that, only when the owner was there. Otherwise it was who do you hang out with outside of work, what is your favorite thing to do, etc... So I could figure out what kind of person they were and judge whether I thought they could actually do a good job instead of just "Why is a man whole cover round?"

Sam

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just went in for basically my first interview in years too. Been part of bestbuy for 3 years now and I wanted to start making some decent money. applied to be a supervisor. Basically i walked in headstrong. Introduced myself, I ASKED all the questions, i asked who he is, where he's from. Then i got into my accomplishments. Then he started asking what pay I wanted. I pretty much said pay is important of course, but i'd rather worry about that later. Got into my plans and why I needed to join his store as a supervisor. I always tried to use the words "we", too. Needless to say interview went off without a hitch and I got the job yesterday =) If you can lead the interview, it'll totally blow away the interviewer.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Kevin said:

Do you want a real, straight up reason why they ask you those types of questions? Couple reasons...

The first one, "why should we hire you" is to see if you really want the job. Thats not hard. "You'll hire me because I'm honest, work hard, always on time ..."etc etc etc.

The second one, "what mistakes have you made..." is to see if you're willing to admit to mistakes and how do you handle telling them and how you fixed them, turning it into something positive. "We were assembling a piece of hardware and discovered that over a period of time, we had done our part which we thought was helpful, turning out it wasn't -- we had to revamp our systems and as a result, we worked with the other team to find a medium where it was still easy for us and yet made their jobs easier, thus improving efficiency" (yes, I just made that up, but you get the idea)

And the last one is actually the best question. It finds out how well you respond to a very complex and maybe even strange situation. "I feel I'm more of an orange really. 1001 uses, full of good stuff ($hit?, hehe), can be modular" etc etc.

So, I am sorry, those questions are very common and normal. Expect them and far far worse. "Tell us your greatest flaw" ..I hate that one.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
I know how you feel Kevin...I'm looking at dumping my job for new one and well I've been to at least 8 interviews the last 3 or 4 weeks, some of them were harsh with harsh questions others were just too easy...
still looking even though I have about 4 offers to decide on

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Fubarian said:
Do you want a real, straight up reason why they ask you those types of questions? Couple reasons...

The first one, "why should we hire you" is to see if you really want the job. Thats not hard. "You'll hire me because I'm honest, work hard, always on time ..."etc etc etc.

The second one, "what mistakes have you made..." is to see if you're willing to admit to mistakes and how do you handle telling them and how you fixed them, turning it into something positive. "We were assembling a piece of hardware and discovered that over a period of time, we had done our part which we thought was helpful, turning out it wasn't -- we had to revamp our systems and as a result, we worked with the other team to find a medium where it was still easy for us and yet made their jobs easier, thus improving efficiency" (yes, I just made that up, but you get the idea)

And the last one is actually the best question. It finds out how well you respond to a very complex and maybe even strange situation. "I feel I'm more of an orange really. 1001 uses, full of good stuff ($hit?, hehe), can be modular" etc etc.

So, I am sorry, those questions are very common and normal. Expect them and far far worse. "Tell us your greatest flaw" ..I hate that one.
I agree and have used all of those. In IT you can assess someones technical skills pretty easy but questions like these give you an oportunity to see how they think and whether they will be a good corporate fit. Another good question I use is "if you could change something about your current job what would it be" or "tell me about your favorite (or least favorite) manager and why you felt that way" the answers you get can be incredibly telling

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well in that case maybe I did all right - as dumb as the questions were I was honest with my answers.

It's not that I haven't been interviewed before, but the 'interviews' for my last few jobs (trucking) have all been "Do you want to work here", if "yes" you have a job providing you pass a road test.

Simple huh?

Oh well, I'll find out later this week if I've got it or not, and if not - on to the next possible employer.

·
AnimeWhore
1,796 Posts
My last interview at IBM was awesome...I came in all dressed up, but the guy who was interviewing me in the conference room was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and he had his nasty running shoes up on the table..... :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well shoot. I just got released from my job a week ago. I'm in need of a new one. I'm a 19 year old guy who wants to make some good cash. It's hard to find a job that will pay more than $10 and hour (in Michigan at least). I'm a liscensed E.M.T.-Basic and will be taking Fire traing in the fall. I'm working volunteer I'm My township. I know I can't find a full-time position untill I'm fire certified and most places won't even look at you unless your at least a specialst(E.M.T.-Intermediate.) so if anyone has any thoughts on what to look for or where to go feel free to make suggestions.
Sorry I kind of dove off subject but, this is what It made me think.
Personally I've never had to interview anyone and the interviews i've been to have always been very simple and easy going. I've never had those kinds of crazy questions. At least I know what to look forward to in my future interviews. Thanks guys and good luck to you, Kevin!

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
When I interviewed for my position at MIT Lincoln Laboratory, I was actually interviewed 4 times by 5 different people, and the whole process took a little over 4 months.

Imagine trying to remember all of the things you said to the last interviewer, so your awnsers didn't fluctuate too much off track.

Interviews Suck......

When I was getting out of the Army we got to go to a 3 day work shop on "Trying to Get a Job in the Civillian World." They actually had a computer program that would interview us and a camera would film it so we could go back and see our body language and a whole bunch of dumb stuff we did while being drilled.

The One thing I hate is when they ask me to take 2 minutes and say a little bit about myself, I am usually done in 20 or 25 seconds......

If anyone can find that comp program, its pretty fun....

·
Registered
552 Posts
So, what kind of fruit would you be?

·
Registered
293 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:
The One thing I hate is when they ask me to take 2 minutes and say a little bit about myself, I am usually done in 20 or 25 seconds......
Try to speak "whale" like Dory , IIIIIII'MMMMMM ttttttwwwwweeeeennnntttttttyyyyyy ffffffiiiiiivvvvvvveeeeeeee yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeaaaaarrrrrrrrrrsssssss oooooollllllddddd aaaaannnnnndddddd IIIIIII llllllliiiiiivvvvvveeeeeee........ (I think you got the point):D With a little practice you can stretch it for like what.......5min???

And what 'bout this one.
" Can you tell me 5 positive and 5 negative things about yourself "

NEGATIVE :2huh: .......ME!!! I named 73 positive things 'bout myself....didn't got the job...:confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Kevin said:

These are all the classic "trap" questions. The best way to respond to it without making it yourself difficult is doing the following:

"Why should we hire you"
Undercut this question by asking back "well, what do you expect from me?" Then they have to refine that open question into a more specific question(s), which you easily can answer. (if you can't, you probable indeed are not suited for the job)

"What mistakes have you made in the past and what have you learned"
Easy one, just prepare for this question by memorizing by heart. Mention subjects were you actually have improved yourself in time, and Try to focus your answers on the learning parts and that it gave you more success and satisfaction. Just study this one! It will be asked in every interview.

"If you were a fruit what kind of fruit would you be"
Once again, undercut this (ridiculous) question by telling them to organize a theme-dressed up company party when they hired you, and you will show them then! (if they would do, hire a strawberry suit and ask the female interviewer if she can taste you to see if you're ripe already!)

Do this and be very confident and they will love it! Trust me! Been there, done that.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rogier said:
"If you were a fruit what kind of fruit would you be"
Once again, undercut this (ridiculous) question by telling them to organize a theme-dressed up company party when they hired you, and you will show them then! (if they would do, hire a strawberry suit and ask the female interviewer if she can taste you to see if you're ripe already!)
If they wanna taste me I'd go for a "banana" suit.......:znanner: :znanner:

·
Registered
552 Posts
blije eikel

1 - 20 of 23 Posts