TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
New to the board i have a 96 Couger XR7 4.6 100k+ that i just bought and am very happy with exept for a few problems i hope someone can help with.i have searched many threads before posting but nevery found a deffinit answer to the problems.

1st being cold starts
mine does'nt like to go into high idle and misfires alot or may stall once intill warm then runs flawless(i live in WI so it's cold)

on a past tauras i had, this was due to the ACT sensore (air charge temp) but upon review of my haynes book and subsription to Alldata the 96-97 does'nt have this sensor?????? but the 94-95 does????Can anyone say diff.....Napa says i have one?
also tomorow i have a new IAC and coolant temp sensor lined up,but hate to spend$ if there's a easy fix i dont know about.

last but not least i bought this car with no oil leaks.today i drove it work and found a nice puddle of oil under it,i started the car and it was leaking pretty good from where?? i got it home put up on ramps started it,wiped it down and looked for leaks.i rans the car for a hour and not a leak to be seen.but if i had to guess it was from the oil filter or the oil sensore next to the filter.i did change the oil and filter but any ideas why this might have happend??

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Welcome to TCCoA

Does it misfire while accelerating or cruising, or only at idle?

If the problems only occur at idle, then suspect the IAC

If it does this while accelerating or cruising, then your MAF sensor could be dirty or defective.

Also, check the spark plugs and wires , if you don't know the mileage on them.

With regard to the oil puddle, more than likely the oil ran behind the K-member, and dripped down, when you changed the filter. This is due to the poor location of the filter.

Keep an eye on that until you are sure it isn't a genuine leak.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome!
the only time it misfires,stalls or runs rough is the really cold start then once warm runs great with no problems and idles perfect.

as for the oil puddle this happend before i changed the oil.there has not been a spot of oil in my garage since i bought this car.then all of sudden there was a 1/2 quart on the ground,now it seems to have fixed it self. i did read on a consumer report that the 94-95 had a problem with balooning filters could have been mine also.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I am not following you.

Let's try again.

You start the car for the first time of the day, and let it sit there and idle.
How does it idle? smooth, rough, misfire, what?

If you put the car in gear and drive it while it's still cold, how does it accelerate?
smooth, rough, misfire, what ?

If you only have idle problems, suspect the IAC.

If it accelerates uneven, or misfires while accelerating, suspect a dirty or bad maf, dirty plugs or bad plug wires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok this morning i jump into the car and start it ,it tacks to about 2k then drops off and trys to run at about 750 rpm misfiring and grumbling the whole time.(no high idle) i let it run for a for minutes,then put into gear and its still misfires alittle but not a problem to drive and accelerates fine,all misfires and rough running is gone once it warms totaly, my main problem is no high idle at warm up.altho it trys the other morning it bounced from high to low idle intil it was warm.

this morning it was 37 degrees

my wires and plugs are new

so i guess what controls the high idle at warm up?

thanks Rob

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The IAC controls the idle only. Nothing else.

If it runs rough, hesitates, or misfires with your foot pressing down any amount on the accelerator pedal, then I would lean towards the MAF sensor.

It can be cleaned with Windex or electrical contact spray cleaner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So are you saying the IAC controls the high idle at warm up also???

or would you happen to know for sure if the 96 has a Air Charge Temp Sensor?? This has been the cure for my problem in the past , but on a 3.8. witch i am used to. hint hint for others;)

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The IAC regulates the amount of air getting into the throttle body, when idling.

The "computer" tells the IAC how much air to let in for a set condition.

The computer really controls the high/low idle range that you are asking about.

If the IAC gets dirty, you can have an uneven idle, or it could stall when you take your foot off the gas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts