TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to set up a FTP server (Filezilla), and when I look up my external IP address I get my ISP's Radio (I use a WISP), which I don't have access to, and not my Router. Am I missing something or am I going to need to get my ISP involved?

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,788 Posts
I use Filezilla 3.21.0 about daily , Have know issues at all , Just a word on something that I use here.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Trying to set up a FTP server (Filezilla), and when I look up my external IP address I get my ISP's Radio (I use a WISP), which I don't have access to, and not my Router. Am I missing something or am I going to need to get my ISP involved?
www.whatismyip.com

Or log into your wireless router, look under WAN info, see what your IP is.

·
Super Moderator
5,010 Posts
When you query your router for its WAN info, what IP does it get?

But I bet the WISP's IP is the one you should use.

RwP

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WAN is 192.168.1XX.XX, which is not my External IP

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
WAN is 192.168.1XX.XX, which is not my External IP
That means your WISP is using their antenna as a router, and your router is just another level of NAT on top of it.

What you should do is turn off your router's DHCP, set it's IP address to 192.168.1.254 (assuming the GW is 192.168.1.1) and let the WISP's router do all the work. Then you'll get an accurate WAN representation, and that's one less layer your FTP has to dig through, which is what's probably causing your problem.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Disabled DHCP on my router and set static IP for it (ISP set it on their side too).

External IP still points to the Radio, and Router IP is still the private address. I would also like to remote access the router. Am I not seeing the forest for the trees?

·
Super Moderator
5,010 Posts
So if you connect JUST a single PC to the radio, what IP does it get? Not specific, but a 192.168.x.y or what?

Or does it get a public address?

Can your ISP allow multiple machines straight to the radio if it's a non-routable ( private, or "fake-net") address on the inside?

And exactly what is your problem with Filezilla server?

RwP

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Disabled DHCP on my router and set static IP for it (ISP set it on their side too).

External IP still points to the Radio, and Router IP is still the private address. I would also like to remote access the router. Am I not seeing the forest for the trees?
Stop using the WAN port on your router, that's the issue. This is why I like using DDWRT on my routers, because I can disable the WAN port and use it as a wireless access point with a built in switch.

Your WISP is using their antenna as a DHCP router. I am willing to bet if you plugged a laptop/desktop into the cable coming from your WISP, it would give you a DHCP address, and then you would be able to get a real WAN IP.

So, what you need to do is if you're using a stock firmware on your router, stop using the WAN port, plug your WISP's antenna into one of the LAN ports on the router, set the LAN IP of your wireless router to something on the same network that the WISP's network is giving out (192.168.1.1 I believe? So I'd set it to 192.168.1.254 so that it's outside of your WISP's DHCP scope) and that way your wireless router is acting only as a wireless access point, not doing any actual routing, but just a "smart switch" on the network. Then you won't have two layers of NAT to worry about digging through.

Make sense?

I was helping set up a WISP here in my town, we built it from the ground up, and he's using all Ubiquity stuff. They're very good antennas, but they don't give you the end user access to a lot of the stuff that your router plugged into a standard ISP's modem would give you.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New issue is the static IP they gave me yesterday changed, but I'll move the cable this afternoon when have time to deal with it.

Yeah mine uses Ubiquity, though my specific radio is a Tranzeo.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
New issue is the static IP they gave me yesterday changed, but I'll move the cable this afternoon when have time to deal with it.

Yeah mine uses Ubiquity, though my specific radio is a Tranzeo.
If your IP changed, you don't have a static IP. You can ask them for one, but they may charge more for it. Otherwise, you can do a dynamic DNS workaround.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts