TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some NGK Iridium spark plugs today and was wondering if anyone has ever used them before?

·
Registered
654 Posts

I run NGK coppers :bowdown: Great Plug !!!
Iridium will last years longer :thumbsup:

DSBirdman89 said:
I bought some NGK Iridium spark plugs today and was wondering if anyone has ever used them before?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Definitely keep us posted as to how well they do for you.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I've been using them for a couple years. They also hold up better than platinum tipped plugs when using nitrous.

David

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, ill keep you guys posted, they came in today, installing tomorrow

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am running plain old NGKs in all my vehicles. The higher mileage plugs are no good for me because I find that they are getting carboned up in time and need to be removed to be cleaned anyway. The Corvette people claim that the iridium plugs are no good because the tips fall of prematurely. I am going to stick with the $1.50 NGKS and change them every two years (smog time).

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Let us know how they work. Ive always used Champion Coppers. Only last about a year but the car runs great with them.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
put them in yesterday,the car actually runs smoother than with the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. Iridium all the way!!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
DSBirdman89 said:
put them in yesterday,the car actually runs smoother than with the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. Iridium all the way!!
Reason

·
Registered
573 Posts
I did the iridium plug thing. No doubt a big difference when you fist put them in. But there are four things that make the wind blow after you've tried every plug under the sun. 1) Any new plug will out perform any old plug with more than 10,000 miles on it . 2) Plats can claim less resistance and increased plug life. 3) Iridiums claim increased horsepower. 3) The fact of the matter is no matter what plug you use, after about 10,000 miles any new plug on the market will out perform the old one in your car. 4) I have found that the correct plug gap on a new plug is more important than the plug itself. Hot VS. Cold is another issue. Ed.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Well there is a maxium effect, but if is a better condutor then yes.
Gold and Silver would be the best for electrical conductance but they both are "soft" and do not deal with heat well, Copper is a better conductor than Platinium but Plat is better at slowing carbon build up.
I anit got a clue as to the benefits of Iridium.

·
Registered
454 Posts
DSBirdman89 said:
Watch out wit the +4, they can be to hot of spark, when i was a memeber on a Intrepid site i remeber ppl were having problems wit the Boschs. I believe it was damaging the top of the pistons. Really u dont need that hot of a spark coppers do just fine.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would bet my paycheck that any spark plug that claims platinium or iridium is just coated with the stuff and is really copper inside when you scratch it . Without going into rocket science, the problem with copper is not the resistance of a new plug, but the oxidation it creates (over time ) from being exposed to air. The oxided copper will create more resistance in the wire compared to platinum over time. That's why we have oxygen free copper speaker cables and silver and platinum coated spark plugs. They can claim that the expensive treatments will create something that will stand the test of time. And that is true, but, we experiment by nature. The time you put into making the gap of each plug consistant with the others, is where the time is spent, not in the cost of the spark plug. Don't get caught up in the testimony that the new is better, that's the stuff you see on TV when you should be sleeping. Be more aware of where you are right now. 1 dollar of copper can be replaced 10 times at the cost of platinium. And replacing and experimenting is what we do best. That's where the fun is. ED

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Well on average platiniums cost only 2x as much as copper an considering the time to change I'll spend the extra $6-8 and save myslef a min of 30mins.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts