TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Here is another question you can laugh at me about.With the cost of new parts for a IRS,much less the weight.Can we take a lesson from the cobra boys with IRS and convert to live rear axle.I mean look at the rear IRS cradle,it can not be too hard.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Are you just trying for dragstrip launches, or are you looking for better handling?
If you are looking for better handling why switch? Live Rear axles suck for handling.
Why bother switching to a live axle, when some of the fastest birds out there running 11-13 seconds, have no problem at all trying to launch with the live axle.

It's just a waste of your time, and your money.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I half disagree with you on this one Joel. If you are building a car for the drag strip, then a solid axle would be prefered. If this is a street car that is just taken to the track, then the swap would be a bit much. I just helped a guy with a Cobra do the IRS to live axle swap. On the Cobra it was easy. But, that is because the GT live axle bolts right in. I don't think it will be so easy on a T-Bird. There is no solid axle bird to use as a donor car.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
one of the reasons I bought a bird was because it had IRS. Less unsprung mass, and good ride, takes the corners pretty damn good for a car of its weight too

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking along the lines of losing the extra weight of the IRS set up ( maybe I am blaming too much of the IRS,for the MN12's weight) and tighting up the rear end cheap.

·
Registered
610 Posts
nitehawk said:
I was thinking along the lines of losing the extra weight of the IRS set up ( maybe I am blaming too much of the IRS,for the MN12's weight) and tighting up the rear end cheap.
Swap in the mark 8 lower control arms and center section. These are aluminum and a bolt in. I have heard ther control arms require a special spacer for the coil spring due the the marks air bag suspension.

I will be doing this mod in a few months along with my aluminum 93 mark driveshaft.

Jim Long

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jim,
The half shafts would help in losing some weight,And the hi-speed vibration.But a few mounts welded to the removable cradle can produce a five link cheap set up which might be cheaper than replacing the many bushing and U-joints in the current system.And yes the main advantage would go to drag racers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts