TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks
I am concidering tradeing my 94 geo tracker 4wd for a early to mid 90's t bird,
If I wasn't commuting 60 miles (both ways ) every day I would just keep my tracker, a utility type 4wd is good to have in this area. I would like to drive something more comfortable and capable of passing at higher speeds, so I'm seriously concidering this.

The Tbird I'm concidering has ground effects But I'm told it not origional but was swaped on from a SC when they had it painted a few years back .
I was told is it has a 5.0 eng, would this also have a A0d trans? I would have been perfectly happy with a 3.8 but having just read the gas milage thread I guess there's not much difrence. plus having more power available is a good thing! not to mention possible head gaskit issues.
our highway here is more like a country road with turns and hills without traffic([email protected] motorhomes) it's safe to go 60 mph. does it seam reasonable to expect 22-25 mpg?
I also read that the 5.0 only came in 91-93 models But I'm wondering what year Tbirds/ cougars went to independant rear ends?

any other advise or info would be appreiated

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
All 89-97 TBirds had IRS, be they v6, v8, or the Super Coupe. Yes, the 5.0 was available only in 91-93 and all you could get with it was the AOD 4speed automatic. If you keep it in a good state of tune and keep your foot out of it, its plenty reasonable to expect 22-25mpg.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Yup, all MN-12 Cougars and Birds had the IRS. These cars are great for long distance. 25 is MPG is expected, prob slightly better at 60. Dont worry. youll have plenty of passing power and comfort :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Folks
it looks like the guys wife talked him out of it. So it's status quo for me.......
at least for now....Lets see he changed his mind once , he could change it back.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
XR7kid said:
lol! no, you wouldn't have :)
huh? :2huh: i am. heck i got 2, lol.....:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the trade is on!

Well his wife is gonna have to DEAL with it.......the guy just had to have my Geo so I am now driving a 91 T bird .
not only did I get a 91 bird but it's a sport model! with 16" wheels, 4 wheel antilock disk brakes, big sway bars front and rear, a full set of gauges including a tach, I am stoked!
However I have a few questions.....
I am dealing with the absence of a cup holder. and I'm wondering if later models have one built into the console? if so is a swap possible whithout changing a lot of other stuff? if that's the case I'll fabricate somethin...myself btw I'm open for suggestions If someone comes up with a real good cup holder idea I like i'LL MAKE 2, ONE FOR ME AND ONE FOR them, I'm geared to fab stuff out of aluminum and or wood.

My first plans are to fab up a 3' cold air system and ditch 3rd cat , resonator mess replace them with 2 1/2" or 3" pipe. hopefully this stuff won't make it too loud @ road speeds. I kinda like a smooth riding/ quiet riding car.I've been driving trucks , vans and suv's for the past 12 years .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info and the links even more info!
I have a exhaust tubing bender so these 2 mods I can do for practicaly nothing

I certinly don't want to damage the fuel econemy. I don't understand how enlarging the breathing capacity will effect fuel econemy , I do plan to leave the sampling tube the stock size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts