TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace my shifter from my '93 Cougar. I'm not sure if my shifter is different. It's covered with leather and I can't see any C clip on the front of it, or anywhere for that matter. Do I have to cut the leather covering off to find the C clip?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/93cougarxr7se

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
the clip

is hard to see, feel along the front of the boot for a small slit running horizontally, the clip is hidden in there, unless the leather has covered it over over time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You have to push the detent button all the way in and pull up sharply to remove the handle. I could not do it by myself, I held the button in and my son (6'-240#) pulled the handle straight off. All the leather covering will come off with the handle.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So, where is the "C" clip? Is it between where the rubber piece and the leather of the shifter come together? I tried to find it a few days ago, spent like 1/2 hour looking, but couldn't find it. Is it behind the leather?

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
Re: the clip

JoelBender said:
is hard to see, feel along the front of the boot for a small slit running horizontally, the clip is hidden in there, unless the leather has covered it over over time.
For a 94-97. Not for an 89-93 ;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you have an AOD tranny, there is no clip. Just push the button in and pull up HARD.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
ahh

I stand corrected

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ya, I looked at it and still didn't see a pin. I pulled really hard on it, and it came off. Who knew? Thanks to everyone for the help! I'm getting a burlwood shifter for it tomorrow (Monday). Cost: $33.95 at O'Reileys. Got some red bulbs and put them in the dome lights. Want to put them in the door panels and floor lights too. Gonna leave the back lights white, so I can see.

·
Registered
604 Posts
yo 93pimp, you got the same amp as i do for my sub ;) wooo! hehe

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw that. I want to get more pics, but I'm lazy. I like to do a lot of wiring and electrical mods. I installed some red bulbs in the dome lights, not the small ones like the ones in the doors, but the bigger size ones like the middle dome light. They work fine and are a lot cheaper than getting some neons. I want to put some red bulbs in the door panel lights, and on the floor, but probably won't in the back lights, although I thought it sounded cool, I could use more (brighter) light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts