TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was searching on search tempest and i saw several posts for 98 mark VIII.
is this car basically the same as a 96-97?

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
97-98 Mark VIIIs are more or less identical to one another, excepting interior and exterior colors. The 98's transmission is better. 93-96 are different.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU for the fast reply.

the auto body crash book doesn't have any listings for mark VIII so i wasn't sure.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
There are a number of differences between 97 and a 98. If there is a specific area your interested in, besides body, you need to be a little more specific.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
97-98 Mark VIIIs are more or less identical to one another, excepting interior and exterior colors. The 98's transmission is better. 93-96 are different.
I tend to think about them more like this 93-95, 96, 97-98. The reason I say that is because of the full OBD-II conversion and the fact that 96 Mark VIII's use a one year only proprietary IMRC one of which is vacuum operated and yet has a sensor which indicates open or closed to the PCM for "emissions" related purposes. Upon false (incorrect) readings (ex. one stuck open, another stuck closed) it can and will alter timing, fuel delivery, load, etc. It will send the car into limp mode. I know a lot of Mark VIII owners who avoid them like the plague.

Also just a bit of trivia to toss on the mountain of MN12/FN10 knowledge the 93's were known as the factory freaks (due to finding weird parts and being notoriously faster then their later counterparts right out of the box) by the Mark VIII's owners.

Several have found obscure factory items, everything from no speed limiter/governor, true 1-piece drive shafts, trac-lok rear diffs, hardened axles, and in very rare cases forged 6 bolt crankshafts, Go figure.

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
Interesting. I knew I shouldn't have let my dad sell the 93! :facepalm:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a number of differences between 97 and a 98. If there is a specific area your interested in, besides body, you need to be a little more specific.
i wanted to know if there are significant differences between them body wise and interchange ability between mn12 and mn10 suspension and drivetrain parts.
my long term goal is to install a 5.4 4V supercharged engine in it. yes i know it will require underhood modifications to make it fit. the trans differences are irrelevantent because i have a 04 4R75W trans with low miles.
my friend who does ecm tuning tells me to get a 96 and up. they are much easier to tune and datalog A/F, timing with the OBDII.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts