TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Bunch of crap if you ask me. Although as stupid as people are now adays it might do more good than harm. What worries me most is they are going to start sending you a ticket in the mail every time you break the speed limit..

You bet your arse I will be removing mine if I have a car with one.

·
Super Moderator
11,918 Posts
Yes; and for better or worse there's nothing we can do about it short of buying older cars or motorcycles that aren't equipped. It would also require a bit of research to determine which cars, trucks or other vehicles are not equipped with these devices.

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
Bunch of crap if you ask me. Although as stupid as people are now adays it might do more good than harm. What worries me most is they are going to start sending you a ticket in the mail every time you break the speed limit..

You bet your arse I will be removing mine if I have a car with one.
More accurately, it's so the insurance companies can find yet another way to weasel out of paying their customers. Think all these "safety" mandates are to protect "us"?

·
Super Moderator
11,918 Posts
:zwthstpd:

Exactly.

This is just an ice crystal in the ice berg that is government survellience...

http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/nsa-agent-everyone-under-virtual-surveillance/?cat_orig=us

See also:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

I first read the article above in a Wired magazine story, with the catchy title "Inside the Matrix". I was astounded at the storage capacity and capabilities of this facility. If you read the article you will be too ... :eek:

Now, I'm by no means a "conspiracy theorist" but the truth here is pretty irrefutable.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
More accurately, it's so the insurance companies can find yet another way to weasel out of paying their customers. Think all these "safety" mandates are to protect "us"?
That's EXACTLY what is going on. Everyone knows the insurances companies run this country when it comes to automobiles and they are just looking for another excuse not to pony up the dough that we all pay them because it's the LAW (that THEY pushed through).

This "black box" thing they've been trying to push through for years and it's only a matter of time before they get what they want.

Personally, I don't give a rat's patooee if my car has one or not; I've always stood up and took responsibility when I should anyways - I don't need a recorder to back my story! It would be nice when OTHERS get caught that don't!

I've been involved in a few accidents that were obviously somebody else's fault and when the police arrive, they all point at me (people ALWAYS claim innocent). Lucky for me, one time the officer saw the whole accident, another there were a bunch of witnesses to back my story, and a third time, the evidence was overwhelming against the other party. I'll tell y'all the whole story(s) sometime when I finally get to meet ya!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Think....OnStar has a direct link to the government. If they wanted they could give a play by play on those who have onSuck in their cars. This is just as bad as branding humans with the bar codes and microchips both would have your entire medical history. So the hospitals can scan you, if you were in another state for example.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone will always have a good reason why they should be allowed to invade our privacy, and a case can be made that some of these intrusions are tolerable or maybe even helpful. However, it is the sum total of all of them that has me concerned the most. (I think that is why the facility you describe is so huge)

Even those who do take responsibility for their actions may find that someone will take the facts of a perfectly innocent encounter and distort the meaning of the information to fit their own perception or needs.

The idea I like best is that (since the collection of information won't stop) each time the government collects info about an individual, that person should be advised by email about what has been collected, unless a judge specifically allows otherwise. KF4sign (Warren)..

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Yes; and for better or worse there's nothing we can do about it short of buying older cars or motorcycles that aren't equipped. It would also require a bit of research to determine which cars, trucks or other vehicles are not equipped with these devices.
Or disable it. Come on this is an enthusiast site we are constantly changing the way the car was "supposed" to run.

·
Super Moderator
11,918 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
True. But, often easier said than done.
Especially if its anything like these Low-jack system they install - my buddy does them at the dealership and said there are almost 40 different possible locations they could install it.

I just recently worked on a customers truck - they had a court ordered Breathalyzer installed .. I know I could override it or bypass it with a little effort and some one way doides, they make them so if you cut the power to the unit or tamper with it, they will find out eventually and it would be a violation of court order.

I cant see the "black box" being tempered with a voilation of federal law, although the feds set the safety and emissions standards so who knows, but it would definately be cause for the insurance company to deny a claim.

·
Super Moderator
10,404 Posts
Easiest way? stay away from new junk. Done :D
Yeah, I quit buying new when drive-by-wire became mandatory. :(

I think I can keep engines in these three for the next 20 years; by then, I'll be "getting out of" the performance car market, lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,918 Posts
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R7YZC-KqkHo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts