TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I usually wait for my climate control to sense engine heat and turn my heater on if its cold out. Thats my way. Rev drop takes like 1 min. Engine heat (per climate control anayway) is like 5 mins.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I always let it warm up just a little, maybe a little extra when its really cold out.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I start it on my way to the car, by the time I get in, buckled in, and the mp3 player hooked up it's good to go. ;)

·
Registered
744 Posts
yeah what they all said is good. but letting a engine run for say, 15 mins at idle is not good due it running extermerly rich.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
tomaso12 said:
yeah what they all said is good. but letting a engine run for say, 15 mins at idle is not good due it running extermerly rich.
Cars only run rich at startup for a short period of time. After a specified time it goes closed loop and runs a nice happy 14.65:1 .

·
Registered
46 Posts
ITHURTZ said:
winter= wait til the temp gets to 120

summer= 30sec and go
ditto

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, I love my bird ALOT, and I want to make it last as long as possible, and look as nice as possible. I'm bidding opn some foglights for it off ebay, and I'm gonna put some Neon under the dash, and rear seats

·
Registered
627 Posts
EFI is taking care of the choke function of carbs. The choke provides more fuel upon startup because of the tendency of fuel to pool on colder surfaces. You should allow the engine to get past that point in order to avoid having excess fuel pushed into your lubrication.

So... in colder weather, let it warm for a few minutes. Warmer weather, less warmup. Ditto with prior shutoff times. If it was shutoff a while ago and little temperature is left in the engine, let it warm for a while. If it was shutoff recently, go for it once you are sure you have oil pressure.

Watch the guages, and you will find the right "drive off" points.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I wait like, 5 seconds. But my bird never sees freezing temps. My winter car I let warm up for about 10 minutes if it's below zero, but that's more for me than the engine.

as long as you have good oil pressure, and don't romp on it in the first few miles, it'll do fine.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
I start it on my way to the car, by the time I get in, buckled in, and the mp3 player hooked up it's good to go. ;)
We're not all so fortunate to have gotten all those mods completed ;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Definitely give it a minute. Back in the stone age days, we had cams that we set the lash on while the engine ran. I took some junk valve covers and cut the tops off to keep the splashing oil to a minimum. Anyway, it always amazed me how long it took the oil to work it's way to the top of the engine. I know we have thinner oil nowdays (I used straight 50 wt.), but my point is give it a minute to circulate. No oil on the top end=damage. Cold, I don't know anything about cold.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts