TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the only part car I see some pretty good rust with .. not sure if it's a big deal in day to day rust that can find it's way to more major key structual areas or if I can just blast it off and stop rust it ... The under carriage is fine nothing like the core support tho seems to be like welded in

Attachments

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
It's the only part car I see some pretty good rust with .. not sure if it's a big deal in day to day rust that can find it's way to more major key structual areas or if I can just blast it off and stop rust it ... The under carriage is fine nothing like the core support tho seems to be like welded in
I'm sorry but I read your paragraph 3 times and I still don't know what you are trying to ask or do.
I tried parsing it out and I still cannot make heads or tails of what you are trying to ask because of your lack of punctuation and failure to use specific nouns.

Examples:
1) Is it easy or possible to swap out for support in 97?
for support = forward support?
What's a 97? Does this have anything to do with your name (which mentions a 91)
Are you looking for support? What kind of support?
What is easy?
What is possible?

2) It's the only part car I see some pretty good rust with = incomplete thought
with what?
You don't see any other part cars?

3) not sure if it's a big deal in day to day rust that can find it's way to more major key structual areas = opinion looking for affirmation + statement.
Not sure what day to day rust is = are you comparing this to some kind of special rust?

4) or if I can just blast it off and stop rust it = statement ...
Sure, you can blast stuff (whatever it is) and stop rust it. Why though? You didn't make the goal clear.

5)The under carriage is fine nothing like the core support tho seems to be like welded in
Again, this is another statement. Without explaining the goal, it's not clear what you are asking.
The only guess I can make is that yes, the forward support is welded in. You can cut it off and weld a new one on.
How much rust is under this specific support can be easily answered with an angle grinder and a pad (if I was going to grab one from a junkyard, I'd bring my Makita with a grinding/sanding disc to check to see how much metal is left after I sanded the rust bit off and if it looked good, I'd use the cutoff discs to take it home with me. It's small enough and easy to bring in to a pick and pull).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry but I read your paragraph 3 times and I still don't know what you are trying to ask or do.
I tried parsing it out and I still cannot make heads or tails of what you are trying to ask because of your lack of punctuation and failure to use specific nouns.

Examples:
1) Is it easy or possible to swap out for support in 97?
for support = forward support?
What's a 97? Does this have anything to do with your name (which mentions a 91)
Are you looking for support? What kind of support?
What is easy?
What is possible?

2) It's the only part car I see some pretty good rust with = incomplete thought
with what?
You don't see any other part cars?

3) not sure if it's a big deal in day to day rust that can find it's way to more major key structual areas = opinion looking for affirmation + statement.
Not sure what day to day rust is = are you comparing this to some kind of special rust?

4) or if I can just blast it off and stop rust it = statement ...
Sure, you can blast stuff (whatever it is) and stop rust it. Why though? You didn't make the goal clear.

5)The under carriage is fine nothing like the core support tho seems to be like welded in
Again, this is another statement. Without explaining the goal, it's not clear what you are asking.
The only guess I can make is that yes, the forward support is welded in. You can cut it off and weld a new one on.
How much rust is under this specific support can be easily answered with an angle grinder and a pad (if I was going to grab one from a junkyard, I'd bring my Makita with a grinding/sanding disc to check to see how much metal is left after I sanded the rust bit off and if it looked good, I'd use the cutoff discs to take it home with me. It's small enough and easy to bring in to a pick and pull).

The headline was a typo. I meant to swap out core support that has rust

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Swapping out that section of the core support is quite a bit of work - plus youll need a good rust free donor.

That rust looks pretty bad, but Im sure you'll be fine if you can clean it up now and protect the metal from further oxidation.
The radiator support you've posted is not a key structural part of the core support - it is just there to hold the radiator and condenser in place.

The rust will not "migrate" .. the oxygen in the air is what attacks the iron in the steel and its the areas without coating / paint that are at risk - you'll want to clean off any rust you see and give it a nice coating of some kind of paint or rust protection to prevent further oxidation. They make primers that neutralize rust also.

I would just clean up and protect what you have to determine how much metal has been eaten away - then you can pull a donor and see how much work is involved in replacing this section for later on if you feel like you need it.

Its really the areas between the stamped sheet metal that I am worried about - they dont use much seam sealer to prevent moisture from getting in between the layers - its just protected by the chemical dip and whatever paint made its way to those areas during the initial construction of the vehicle.

I would be more worried about the condition of those metal lines before the body itself - is that for the Power steering ??? That is more likely to cause a big problem before the rust on the body.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,362 Posts
Anything is possible, I hate that question.

Q: “Is it possible to turn my Thunderbird into a deepwater submarine?”

A: yup.

Easy is a matter of experience and tools. If you can weld and drill our spot welds, and have a parts doner, it’s certainly not the hardest section of chassis to replace. If you’re tools are zip ties and duct tape, as well as your skill levels, probably not. But this could be just the project that changes that for you.

My assessment on what you should do near term however is forget about it. At most just knock off the scales with a hammer and POR15(or equivelant) over it. it’s not a structural element on this particular chassis, and if the rust is so bad it can’t hold the radiator and condenser in place, whip out the duct tape and zipties. What I WOULD do however is replace the brake line to the right front caliper underneath it and maybe even replace those power steering cooler lines before they rust through.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Geez guys..lol giving enough grief ??
Grammar Nazis..
That core is pretty rusty, what are the problematic spots like on the car???
With that core I would try and scrape off the rust, coat it and repaint it ..
But damn, that core is rusty. How is the integrity on it???

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Geez guys..lol giving enough grief ??
Grammar Nazis..
People who give a **** about their cars pay attention to all kinds of details, all the time - including grammar.

It's the details and situational awareness that make life run more smoothly. Paying attention to the details would serve everyone well and prevent many a problem. Some people are better at it than others ...

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
It is relatively easy to do this but keep in mind that everything is relative. I have the entire front torn down but keep in mind that I have determination, time and tools. Once you have the front bumper cover off and the header panel and all things connected to the core support removed (wiring, radiator, AC condenser, etc.) then it's as simple as getting a spot weld removal bit and drilling out all of the spot welds (there are a lot). Once you have the old one out, you weld in the new one. Obviously the process of removal is going to happen twice since you'll need to do this on the donor car too.

Again, I don't see it as technically difficult but the circumstances are in my favor right now.

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
I'd make a circle jig for the new plasma cutter, and cut little circles around the spot welds, lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
I'd make a circle jig for the new plasma cutter, and cut little circles around the spot welds, lol.
I actually wouldn't do that. You don't want to remove any more material than necessary so you want to use a spot weld removal bit so that you only take off the top piece of metal. When you get to the point of installing the donor you'll need material in place to make the welds. There is no point in making more work for yourself than necessary.

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
I was more than slightly joking; but I'm the guy that wants to use his new tool for everything. :)

"Daddy, the plasma cutter makes to cookies taste purple!" :D

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
I was more than slightly joking; but I'm the guy that wants to use his new tool for everything. :)

"Daddy, the plasma cutter makes to cookies taste purple!" :D
Ah. Well, since I had been using the plasma cutter for other purposes I was definitely in the mindset of appropriate places to use it. I did consider removing my old core support with it and then thought better of it since I knew the one in the "new" car had been cut.

On that note, the "new" doesn't have frame rails beyond the core support. :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts