TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...or does the 4.6 react very well to the littlest of changes??? When i picked up my bird back in Nov. '08, i drove it just like any other car - right down to putting the cheapest gas in it. I wasn't happy with what it was telling me in the seat and in miles-per-gallon, and so i tuned it up and began the added expense of premium fuel. IT LOVED IT!!! It was much more responsive and the MPG's went from 16 to 20 driving around Vegas.

And now, browsing through the yard in Vegas earlier this week, i stumbled across a 97 that was recently added to the yard that still had the K&N filter the previous owner put in it. I snatched the filter, cleaned and re-oiled it and holy good hell, what a difference!!! I can't wait to see what the filter will do for MPG.

I'm excited to do something to the exhaust now. Browsing through the exhaust threads i think i am going to go with the x-pipe and duals from here: Mandrel Exhaust Systems and Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I can't wait to do this!!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
you'll love the xhaust set up, i have that set up cept for the mufflers. mine are thrush welded mufflers sounds awsome.

·
Registered
171 Posts
...or does the 4.6 react very well to the littlest of changes??? When i picked up my bird back in Nov. '08, i drove it just like any other car - right down to putting the cheapest gas in it. I wasn't happy with what it was telling me in the seat and in miles-per-gallon, and so i tuned it up and began the added expense of premium fuel. IT LOVED IT!!! It was much more responsive and the MPG's went from 16 to 20 driving around Vegas.

And now, browsing through the yard in Vegas earlier this week, i stumbled across a 97 that was recently added to the yard that still had the K&N filter the previous owner put in it. I snatched the filter, cleaned and re-oiled it and holy good hell, what a difference!!! I can't wait to see what the filter will do for MPG.

I'm excited to do something to the exhaust now. Browsing through the exhaust threads i think i am going to go with the x-pipe and duals from here: Mandrel Exhaust Systems and Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I can't wait to do this!!!
Then get a good tune or write your own! :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
So let me get this straight....

Your motor was running like crap, and you put it closer to the condition from whitch it came out of the factory....

And you're now still getting below-normal MPG....

And this means the 4.6 responds well to mods?

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
what are you talking about?? He's driving around Vegas and getting 20MPG. I'd say mixed driving through vegas 20MPG is reasonable. I get about 19MPG mixed driving in my car. 16 city and if I drive it like a bat outta hell all the time I get about 11 LOL.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
what are you talking about?? He's driving around Vegas and getting 20MPG. I'd say mixed driving through vegas 20MPG is reasonable. I get about 19MPG mixed driving in my car. 16 city and if I drive it like a bat outta hell all the time I get about 11 LOL.
That's all??? I'd always gotten at LEAST 22 mpg in my 96 back before the converter and gears... Maybe it's the "Vegas" coefficient that I'm overlooking?? :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just did an all-freeway run and got 21 mpg. I think i am going to do the Seafoam treatment and see what happens. But i think this is the best i may see out of her. At least my numbers are consistent so nothing is wrong other than age and mileage.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Just did an all-freeway run and got 21 mpg. I think i am going to do the Seafoam treatment and see what happens. But i think this is the best i may see out of her. At least my numbers are consistent so nothing is wrong other than age and mileage.
Definitely do that. You should be getting around 26-27 MPG on the highway. At least, I do when doing all highway driving.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
I've been lucky to 19 mpg and I do 60% highway driving.
Fix the vacuum leaks, and change out the o2 sensors.

That, along with plugs, wires, and cleaning the maf, is all the tuneup these cars need. :D

Look up Seafoam, if you've never done it.

Unless your tranny is slipping, that should bring you back in line with 21-22mpg.

Unless you are WOT a lot; some driving styles just use more gas... But then it's not Miles per gallon, it's Fun per gallon. :)

I get about a 25 FPG, while doing ~24mpg average. :cool:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Here is a big question. Seafoam says to pour it in the intake as well as the fuel and oil. Is that only for Carb'd engines or will it work on the FI too? I haven't done it yet and I wanted more info before I went pouring crap in my intake.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
It works the same in a FI engine also. Just disconnect the vacuum line on the brake booster and pour it through there.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It works the same in a FI engine also. Just disconnect the vacuum line on the brake booster and pour it through there.
Will that clean the carbon fron the upper and lower intake as well? I like to know since I am not ready to replace an engine due to lack of information on the bottle, and at the cost they want for seafoam, I would like to get it right the first time. How much from a can of seafoam should I use for the intake?

Also I probably know the answer but never hurts to double check... Running or not?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I used the whole can in mine. You do it with the engine warm and running. SLOWLY pour it in. You can hydrolock the engine if you don't.

Wait at least 30 minutes before starting it back up. Take it for a 15 min drive or more so it will completely burn it all out.

Only put it in the oil if you do an oil change imediately afterward.

·
Registered
641 Posts
So run the car til warm, turn the car off, pour it in, wait, wait, wait, and then take it for a 15 minute drive? I use lucas oil treatment as far as that goes. If you pour seafoam in the fuel tank, it will, in theory, clean the injectors right? Or is that just another gimmick on the market?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
So run the car til warm, turn the car off, pour it in, wait, wait, wait, and then take it for a 15 minute drive? I use lucas oil treatment as far as that goes. If you pour seafoam in the fuel tank, it will, in theory, clean the injectors right? Or is that just another gimmick on the market?
No. The car MUST BE RUNNING while you pour the Seafoam in.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ah ok good. I was a bit unsure since you said wait 30 minutes before starting it back up. Sorry I overlooked the whole warm and running part.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts