TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think that my brake pads are going to hell, or my fluid has some air gaps.

Well, there is kind of a lot of brake pedal play, like, I have to press it a pretty good amount, before the car brakes. On all my other Fords, this is not the case, and yes, they have ABS like mines too. Is it that I should change my pads? Any aftermarket pads you guys would reccomend? Should I also change the rotors while I'm @ it?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to bleed your brakes, and it's easy enough to see if your pads are worn - 'probably the front. Just pull a wheel, and shine a flashlight down between the rotor and the caliper assembly. If you see the friction material between the metal of the pad backing and the rotor is less than about 1/8", you definitely need pads. I'd recommend Raybestos QuietStops. They're a little more expensive than most, but virtually eliminate brake dusting. (Unfortunately, they don't make them for the back). The fronts pads are also easy to change yourself, though I'd recommend some experienced help if you've never done them yourself.

It also wouldn't hurt to get new rotors - having the old ones turned will likely result in eventual warping due to being thinner, causing wheel shimmy when stopping. New Raybestos rotors are under $50 each. But if the old ones aren't causing any vibration now when stopping, I'd go ahead and use them as-is.

·
Registered
130 Posts
diagnosis?

WaLieN,
As far as figuring out what is wrong, I concur wuith John, that first take a look see t othe depth of you pads. And since it isn't too difficult, bleed the brakes to ensure that there is no trapped air.

As to pads/rotors....unless you'r getting the shimmy while braking, turning the rotors won't help your current condition. As a point of preference, IMO th dtock rotors are worthless. Almost all will agree that the problem is that these brakes are too small for the size/weight of these vehicles.

In any event, I am very pleased with the KVR 10.8" setup. The drilled rotors do not have the same warpage problem as those cast iron OE, and the braking is excellent. I srongly encourage you to check out KVR.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the 10.8" KVR rotors fit in my stock 15" fanwheels? Also, would you reccomend KVR pads, too? Where did you get your KVR stuff from?

K

·
0 Posts
I just use NAPA brand TRUSTOP on all my cars. I replace them for $150 every 50,000 miles (rotors and pads) and I think its a better idea than spending more money for something that Might last longer... depending on if you get in an accident. If you break your old rotors, wouldn't you of rather paid $22 for them instead of $50 or even $100?

·
Registered
244 Posts
no, because those better rotors and pads may help you stop better, avoiding the accident. better rotors dissipate heat better. better pads turn the mechanical energy into heat energy better. if the pads aren't as hot, they work better, as do the rotors, meaning you can stop faster.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, don't you need to hok that car up to a computer and activate the ABS pump to bleed anti-lock brakes? Otherwise they'll just be spongy? Don't quote me on this, I've never had ABS brakes so I couldn't tell from experience. Just trying to remember from reading on the old board.

·
Registered
244 Posts
correct joe. however, you only need to have that done IF you get air in the lines. i replaced all 4 of my calipers and the lines sat open for 2 weeks while waiting for the new ones. i bled them and bled them, i just made sure that the resevoir never went dry. i have no problems

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would it be ok to just replace the FRONT with KVR stuff, and leave the back stock.. or would that create too much uneven braking?

·
Registered
244 Posts
no, that is fine. that is all anybody usually does.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doesn't bleeding brakes w/ abs different than bleeding brakes normally?

·
Registered
244 Posts
bleeding no. bleeding is the same. IF you get air into an ABS system, then yes, the procedure is different than a non ABS system. the trick is to not get air in the system. if you do, a factory procedure that activates the ABS system has to be done to bleed it the correct/best way.

]

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm... I think a full front KVR conversion might be in my future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts