TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a powder paint kit, and naturally I'm trying to find stuff to paint, I was a little curious as to weather or not stuff like our valve covers and intake manifold type composite could be powder painted or if it's like some kind of anti-static plastic.

Also, even if it could be charged, would it be able to handle being baked at 500* or would it melt before that......actually, now that I think about it, if the composite crossovers got recalled because the heat of coolant was enough to make it melt/burst, I guess tossing it in the oven is out of the question.

well, I'm still open to suggestions as to what to paint :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't think they can be. SHADOW has powder coated valve covers in a gallery (comment says it's aluminum, though) There's also an intake, but only the crossover and upper plenum is coated.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I don't think they can be. SHADOW has powder coated valve covers in a gallery (comment says it's aluminum, though) There's also an intake, but only the crossover and upper plenum is coated.

they are aluminum valvecovers, made by Team Breed. I have the same ones on my car.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are they actually available, or are they one of those things that only 5 people in the whole world have? I would really like metal valve covers.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow thats awesome, thanks.......I might as well ask my next stupid question, non-composite intake manifolds..... I haven't seen any, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see how aluminum is going to add heat......I'm just not a big fan of plastic parts tbh, nothing more than that really.

·
Registered
219 Posts
im with johnny on the plastic parts , and not meaning to change the thread but whats the opinion on the typhoon intake offered by proffessional products ??? and how well will it work with pi cams or maybe just slightly hotter . plastic parts dont appeal to me at all unless its the knobs on my dash .............................

·
Super Moderator
16,978 Posts
im with johnny on the plastic parts , and not meaning to change the thread but whats the opinion on the typhoon intake offered by proffessional products ??? and how well will it work with pi cams or maybe just slightly hotter . plastic parts dont appeal to me at all unless its the knobs on my dash .............................
About as good as chinese manufacturing gets.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The composite intake is better as far as heat is concerned. Yes, aluminum dissipates heat, but it conducts it faster than plastic. Under the hood, an aluminum intake will get hot, and it will stay hot. That means the air running through it gets heated. The plastic intake will not conduct as much heat, and will not heat the air.
That's the basic idea behind using the composite intake.

And the Typhoon intake is crap. I think it's been covered a few times on here (as I'm sure the plastic vs aluminum has also).

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The composite intake is better as far as heat is concerned. Yes, aluminum dissipates heat, but it conducts it faster than plastic. Under the hood, an aluminum intake will get hot, and it will stay hot. That means the air running through it gets heated. The plastic intake will not conduct as much heat, and will not heat the air.
That's the basic idea behind using the composite intake.

And the Typhoon intake is crap. I think it's been covered a few times on here (as I'm sure the plastic vs aluminum has also).
good point, I didn't really think of that. I'm sure there could be a way to insulate it, but that's not really the point. I see what your saying entirely, insulation could have it's own set of problems too...etc.

aluminum valve covers though, I don't think that's going to cause an issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts