TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if there is a program/software that can be used to tune a car using a pc or laptop vs using a handheld tuner??

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
if im not mistaken, the tuning with SCT and the diablo is still done with a handheld in the end

that is to say, you dont just plug a usb cable into your laptop and into the datalink connector and upload a tune like that

the quarterhorse would seem to resemble more of a direct-line so-to-speak when tuning, since the laptop can upload changes directly to the quarterhorse chip plugged into the J3 port

·
Registered
704 Posts
Well I dont know how well Sniper works with the T-bird platform
I know it "failed miserably" with the Mark 8 platform.

Cannot adjust cooling fan temps
Cannot remove speed limiter..
And a whole host of other goofy issues that shouldn't pop up in a properly engineered tuning solution.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
im using binary editor

the quarterhorse is the only chip that lets you make realtime adjustments no other tuner will respond anywhere as near as fast as the QH.

i also tried to tune that mustang which come to find out was a cobra. Talk about headaches still have an issue with communications and am working on a resolution to it today.

·
Registered
892 Posts
the quarterhorse is very nice i use it on my 92 with the t4m0 ecu

i plan on making some adjustments on a 98 gt mustang soon can't wait
I have a '93 that I am going to do a HCI change on that will require some major tuning. Is there any basic "starting " tune files available? I have been reading everything I can find and this looks like the a real "modern" option compared to everything I have looked at. I also am working on a '93 Fox that is in bad need of tune. Thanks for any info!!!

Brad

·
Registered
583 Posts
Binary Editor has definition files for a whole bunch of strategies. If it's a Mustang EEC, it has a high chance of having a definition file and an uploaded stock bin file. The list is on his website.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I think my options are these:

1. Either drive 500+ miles to get my car tuned
2. MQ (would need to learn)

If I had someone who/would know about moates I think I would jump on it, but Im scared in screwing my car over

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think I have found a solution to my EEC/tuning questions for my Bird
:wiggle: :zbeer: :bowdown: :thumbsup: :zdevil: :znanner:
That Quarterhorse and some of the other stuff looks like a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
704 Posts
warning "steep learning curve" ahead....

So long as you aren't expecting to be spoonfed, the QH stuff is really cool.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think I have found a solution to my EEC/tuning questions for my Bird
:wiggle: :zbeer: :bowdown: :thumbsup: :zdevil: :znanner:
That Quarterhorse and some of the other stuff looks like a pretty good idea.
IF you got that I'd LOVE to help. I'm thinking of getting the same.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
warning "steep learning curve" ahead....

So long as you aren't expecting to be spoonfed, the QH stuff is really cool.
Agreed, it works well. Just make sure you have your eyes wide open in regards to how much you will need to learn first.

Darrin

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Where does one go to learn about tuning? Is it all trial and error or are there any good books that explain the tuning process?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Be forewarned - some tuning platforms are better than others. They will all present you with a bunch of calibrations. You may or may not know what they do. How these calibrations are used is determined by the programming logic of your specific PCM. Understanding this logic underlies the performance of competent calibration work. Even changing seemingly simple things can give you unintended results. So unless you are Lonnie or Darrin or XLRVIII, you will have a lot to learn. But knowledge is always attracted to those who seek it, so when there's a will, there's a way. It's more than you might think though.

Mitch

·
Registered
485 Posts
So lets say I get one of these blue oval chips or an sct. And It works great, but that yearning for power makes me add a few mods. Do I have to pay for a new tune for each mod? Or is it some free thing where ya just send an email and wait for the file? Because it seems you would save alot of money in the long run IF you weren't done modding?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts