TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of a cone filter. I have heard that the cones create air turbulance and also gum up the MAF with filter oil. Besides those things, why is it better to use the stock box?

I am thinking about putting it back on and keeping my cold air piped into it from below.

I am looking for opinions from people who have tried both ways(cone and panel).

thanks,
mike

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Please....let's not start up again the....

MZ-Bird said:
Instead of a cone filter. I have heard that the cones create air turbulance and also gum up the MAF with filter oil. Besides those things, why is it better to use the stock box?

I am thinking about putting it back on and keeping my cold air piped into it from below.

I am looking for opinions from people who have tried both ways(cone and panel).

thanks,
mike
longest running debate in the history of TCCoA.

Here are the FACTS:

No one has proved K&N filters produce more power
No one has proved cones produce more power.

It's as simple as this:

If you like K&N product use it - either cone or panel.
If you go with a cone - seal it in a box or put it in
your fender well.

If you stick with your oem air box - duct it to the
front - it won't hurt, it MIGHT help.

If you want to use a paper filter, change it often.

Is one setup better than the other? NO ONE KNOWS.

IF there is a difference it's going to be SMALL.

I have gone back to the oem air box with a K&N panel filter
from an Autophysics cone. Can my super-calibrated a$$ hairs
feel any difference? No. Did I do a smart thing? I have no idea.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Major,
I already have a cone filter and a heatshield around it keeping the hot engine air from going into the cone.....I believe you asked me about buying one from me when I was selling them.....

anyway, It was mentioned to me to use the stock box because of the MAF. Now I have always thought the aftermarket filters gave a little more power than the crappy paper filters..

I brought this up because I figured that after all this time someone had come up with better info on this issue. Just like they did about gutting MAFs....

It used to be a great idea 4 years ago....before most of the current people on this board were even here and also before the others went off and got blowers and stuff.

I am just trying to get any info since I don't have a DYNO in my garage to find out for sure. Next year I will swap motors. for no, just trying to get the car to run it's best.

sorry if it is an old overdone topic. I don't hang out here every day. just often over the last 5 YEARS.

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Magor,
didn't mean any offense or anything. I know I have less than 10 post but I have been around here for years and was only trying to find out any new info from others whom have learned more than me....

my car is not my life so I don't get into it as much as some and funds are also factor.

thanks again,

Mike

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Hey MZ, don't take my post...

all that seriously. To be honest a cone in a well ducted
air box MIGHT be a little better, who knows? I ran that
autophysics directly on my 80mm LMAF Accufab filter adapter
and it worked great. Did not lean out and I have the dyno
print out to prove it.

Air takes a "right" turn IN the airbox, but stock the maf's
in direct line with the air box out put so I think direct
feed into the 80mm LMAF, at least, is NO problem and
shouldn't be with the oem 'Bird MAF. Is the feed into
the GT 'Stang MAF straight or not? I don't know.

I was just beefing for fun about being overdone....

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
magor,
done all I can except for plugging few holes here and there. other than that , there is no way to improve the COne/heatshield set up that I can think of using stock MAF and 9" Autophysics cone.

I was told and I also read that some people had actually prefered the stock box over a cone. I was suprised to hear it so now I am trying to learn why.

I have never driven anyone else's Tbird but mine. I runs good but it is hard to tell if mods you do help or not without equpment.

I mean after my duals and the cone I KNOW it runs better BUT I can't help feel I lost a little bottom end or this or that....

It is hard for me to spin the tires from standstill without using the brakes to load up but I also have new sticky tires...I don't know if I lost low end torque or not...

I would just like for opinions from people like you and me who have done all these things before.

that was all...

thanks Magor,
Mike

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
MZ...how big an exhaust system...

did you put on, and did you eliminate your primary cats?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually I fibbed bit. I only removed the 3rd cat. where the resonator was I have a single in dual out Flomaster. I am not sure the pipe size. may be 2 1/4 but not more than 2 1/2. so I really don't have duals. just duals most of the way. sounds great. I also had the usual 2 mufflers in the rear and at one time I had a single pipe from 3rd cat to the rear. I have never thought the 4.6 had much torque. maybe i am wrong.

car runs better than it ever did when I first got it but that was a long time ago. hard to remember it back then. I am about to put pullies on it but I hear that helps upper RPM's more than anything. I never tried the stock box with cooler air piped in. wondered how that works out.

things that make me go humm. if I had a G-Tech it would help but I don't.

Mike

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That's an interesting piece -

392Bird said:
I don't think much of the March setup, but the numbers on the
Airbox are certainly interesting. I only wish those numbers
had been achieved through a MAF instead of a carburetor.
Nevertheless they are interesting. How one might plumb a
y'ed dual 4" setup efficiently into an airbox of some kind
on our 'Birds, I don't know. I can't imagine would be easy.
But maybe, someday somebody might do it and pull an equivalent improvement.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
actually I had thought about taking a "Y" from the old Ford truck boxes and plumbing some smaller pipes from both lower holes in the front bumper. but there doesn't seem to be much space and it would probably be some work. I don't know.

I will read this article now.

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very interesting read.

I think I will stick the old box back on and keep the ram air still kooked up and see If i can tell any loss. I will let you guys know.

thanks,
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts