TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a 95 tbird v8 that i wrecked, body was too expensive to fix, so i bought a 97 tbird v6 and i transplanted everything to it. the tranny i took out of the v6 was burned only reverse worked. my question is, are these 2 trans the same?

interchangeable?

i would like to use this core as a project to build a nice tranny and just swap it when ready.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Any 95 Core would not be ideal for rebuild anyway it's SCRAP.

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
what is a good core for a street and strip project?
Since searching isn't your strong point, I would pay DirtyDog to build you one; It's a lot cheaper in the long run...

Working on a transmission isn't as easy as working on an engine; one good piece of lint off a shop rag and you're taking the valvebody apart. :)

I'm running 02 Gran Marquis transmissions in my cars; it's not a straight swap.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I can help you there... As DD is a very reputable Vendor he would'nt have you pay to ship Scrap Cross Country & BACK - I'm SURE he'd glady ship a proper Tranny & TC one way to CA - Take a peek ay his Website.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
hey dirtydog. how much to rebuild a stock 95 4.6 trans?
Not worth the time or effort. Pull the linkage lever,VSS,OSS and output shaft. Keep the extension housing as well in case the new unit we find doesn't have a hole in it and throw the 95 junk away.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
Does it take special tools to change out the tailshaft?

I realize that everything comes out to change it; but does it require anything out of the ordinary? (for a fairly well equipped shop...)

I guess if I keep these long enough, I'll end up buying seal installers and all the rest, lol.

I saw a really nice tranny with 12k for almost free, but no gear; I didn't have time to deal with it, and ended up with with an older one for more cash. :)

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Does it take special tools to change out the tailshaft?

I realize that everything comes out to change it; but does it require anything out of the ordinary? (for a fairly well equipped shop...)

I guess if I keep these long enough, I'll end up buying seal installers and all the rest, lol.

I saw a really nice tranny with 12k for almost free, but no gear; I didn't have time to deal with it, and ended up with with an older one for more cash. :)
Nothing really special, snap ring pliers is about it.
Alan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts