TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i bought my 95 tbird 4.6l lx in january of last year. So far i have about 975 invested in this car and i still need work . I paid 1200 for it. Isnt the rule usally once you go over what you paid for it sell it? So i guess what im asking is should i sell it or keep it?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Oh hell no. I have way more into my car than it's worth... I'm going to keep going with the whole spending money on it because I want to. I just need to keep in mind I'll never make my money back... but oh well, 99% of cars depreciate so that's pretty normal in the scheme of things....

·
Registered
267 Posts
I love these type of questions and the answer is quite simple.

If it's a daily driver and just transportation.....get rid of it.

If you love the car because there is no other 2 door coupe to be had with independent rear suspension, reasonable power, nice ride, good interior room and decent gas mileage the of course you have to keep it. Try finding anything comparable, Caddie? BMW? Mercedes? You see where I'm going with this. All others are much more expensive and gawd awful expensive to repair. MN12 Tbirds and Cougars offer the most for the least amount of money. Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
16,826 Posts
Even as a daily driver it doesn't make sense. If it was a $5k + car and it needed $5k in repairs sure, but a $1200 car needing $1200 in repairs isn't exactly breaking the bank. Assuming it was money well spent (IE suspension rebuild, tune up, misc. repairs/restoration) it ends up being a very reliable safe and well performing vehicle for a whopping $2400.

·
Super Moderator
9,181 Posts
I paid $800 for the Cougar in 2010, it was in rough shape. After $700, it was at the point where I would drive it anywhere, anytime. The only money I've spent on it since then includes new winter tires, and an oil change.

I'd keep it.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Well i bought my 95 tbird 4.6l lx in january of last year. So far i have about 975 invested in this car and i still need work . I paid 1200 for it. Isnt the rule usally once you go over what you paid for it sell it? So i guess what im asking is should i sell it or keep it?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
If you need the following items as per your sig (Transmission Seal/rebuild, Catalytic Converter, Odometer Gear, Rotors, Thermostat), what did you spend your $975 on?

The K&N filter? That's not going to make your car more reliable. All the items you highlighted above, with the exception of the $15 odometer gear, are important for the operation of your vehicle.

-g

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i spent 975 on a tune up and whole new front suspension. And i completely agree i love my car because its different i always see mustangs,camaros,chargers etc all fixed up and look like amazing but no tbirds so tbirds a re orginal thats what i love about them the most. Lastly the main reason why i posted this was because im 16, have no job which means no source of income like literally im just using money left over from christmas and from the money that was meant for driving school which im not going to.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I will give you 975 for it, right now, as is.

Fix it, keep it, what else can you get for the money it would take to fix whatever it needs

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Umm haha your funny lolXD

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Well Birds dont hold value to anyone but enhuast. If you really loved your bird you wouldnt be asking this question. Ive got at least double if not triple what you have into yours. Maybe more. The question is what do you want? Youve been wishy washy since you joined. Figure out if you want a bird or not then make your decision. Cause if your not going to stick with it your wasting your time. You will never make your money back. Just so you know

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would keep it, but that's just me I am still driving bird numbers 3 & 4 and hoping to find a 94/95 sc with a 5spd as well as an auto sc for my girlfriend. So noone here can really answer this question you have to figure out how much you like the car. I had to junk my first one and it took 10 years or so to get another one. So do you love it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I freaking love my car it's my first car I bought it with my own money and its a muscle car which I absolutely love the only reason why I question this is because I'm also a diesel junky I grew up with diesel's etc I.loved my dads f250 7.3l and cried when he sold it but I also love my car because its mine I bought it and its a muscle car. See this is why I'm so wishy washy.

·
Super Moderator
9,181 Posts
2200 spent on a car in a year isn't bad. Pretend that it's $185/mo car payment. :)

Also consider insurance on the Bird is going to be cheaper than practically any other car you can get your hands on.

I'm not sure what I've spent on mine, but suffice it to say if I never got bit by the speed bug my "car payment" since I started driving/maintaining the car in 2008 would be around $50/mo.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol I made up mind this thread is going to.die lol I'm done second guessing myself and I'm done looking at different cars the bird is staying and honestly just saying I don't care about definition I think most of us consider these muscle cars.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
don't take this the wrong way...you are 16 years old, presumably in high school, have no job, as you stated...you talk about chargers, mustangs, etc. all "fixed up" Well, that's expensive! Even a "crappy" old car is expensive...maybe get a job doing someting, drive the car, enjoy it for what it is, enjoy the part of your life that you are at...because it won't be like this for long...and none of us consider these "muscle cars" they are simply not that.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Well they are pretty fun with a couple of mods. I had fun pulling away from a Challenger the other day :) I hadnt got to play with one of those yet!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts