TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in another thread but it was off topic and I didn't get any replies, that said, I will post it here:

I just got back from driving to Walmart to get a new phone charger when on the side of the road I see a blue-red-amber circus. Passing by I see not one, but two patrol cars with their lights on behind a blue 1989 or 1990 Cougar that they recently pulled over. It reminded me of this thread and got me wondering:

Are law enforcement agencies beginning to focus more of their attention on MN12s?

I know my mother is still of the opinion that my car is something that 'hoodlums' drive and I've mostly blown her off. Before I bought my car, my dad spoke to a police officer he kinda knew at some gas pumps and asked what the officer thought of a teenager getting a Thunderbird. The officers response was a sarcastic and condescending "... a THUNDERBIRD???" indicating that he didn't think too highly of our vehicles or people who drive them...

Now I'm beginning to think about it and I realized that I have gotten much more police attention in my Thunderbird than I have in my red Mustang GT, something that confused me because you KNOW that a red V8 Mustang is supposed to be something of a cop magnet.

The last time I was pulled over in my Thunderbird, the officer accused me of talking on my phone even though I wasn't and even checked through my call records. When he found I wasn't lying to him, he then raised his voice and started questioning me about what was in my hands while I was driving (which was nothing). After he didn't get anywhere with that, he started asking me all sorts of questions about where I was coming from and where I was going, and if there was anything he "should know about" in my car. Upon answering all of his questions honestly (I just left my house, I was going to the Ford dealer to buy a passenger window motor, and that of course I didn't have anything in my car...) he FINALLY stormed back to his car telling me to "keep my phone in my pocket."

The guy really just wanted a reason to give me a ticket, and he probably could have if he had walked around to the front of my car and noticed my prominent lack of a front plate. He probably thought he pulled over a goldmine of illegal drugs or something and was disappointed to discover that I wasn't the dope jackpot he was looking for.

So now I must ask the question, are we going to see ourselves being harassed by the police more in the future?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You got a reply, saying that your paranoid lol. I think any 2dr. car that has "sporty" lines, with tint, nice paint, loud exhaust is targeted.

Loud music, HID's etc etc all make it worse, but I love it all so who cares. The point is, if you're not doing anything wrong and they try to get you, well you either fight or become a victim of law enforcement's ever growing egos.

If you are doing something wrong, well then as the old saying goes, "you did the crime, now you do the time" ... or pay the ticket lol.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh I didn't think that I was the one that was paranoid, wasn't sure that was directed towards me.

After seeing that "ghetto things done to birds and cougars thread" I'm just afraid that the MN12 is the next car favored by hoodlums, gang bangers and drug smugglers. Maybe we should just buy them all to save them from becoming the next slant-back Cadillac.

·
Super Moderator
9,179 Posts
Hard to say, I'm sure a lot of it has to do with region. I've never gotten any attention from the police and haven't ever seen an MN12 or FN10 pulled over either. This day and age MN12s are getting to the point where they are easily acquired by anyone due to price, so more hot-shot kids are getting their hands on them and doing stupid things to attract attention.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I dunno man, I always get attention when I'm driving my Mustang. It's white and black. I think its the exhaust though, which isn't even all that loud.

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
No.

For one thing, thug life favors GMs for those Seville like mods, particularly B,C and G(rwd mostly) bodies but many have made the move to H bodies as well.

Two, Just because they are cheap doesn't mean squat. The cars that are popularly used for these kinds of mods generally are status symbols, the MN12 isn't a status symbol to anyone nor are there enough remaining numbers to do so(IE they missed the boat of thug life)

3 these cars would suck for smuggling, find a hidden crevice that can hold anything substantial that wouldn't be immediately spotted.

Four your car is red, is really low and has small wire wheel covers, it seems like you're setting yourself up right there.

Five I still have never been pulled over in my Cougar.

Six Yes it's complete paranoia.

Seven this thread sucks

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I got pulled over much more in my grand marquis THOSE are thug cars right there. Out there half the panther cars are owned by cops and old people and the other half is people the cops would be tempted to pull over. Seriously I liked my grand marquis but its too much of an attention getter. THe mn12 here is still ubiquitous one on every block driven by all kinds of people. The mn12 gets ignored here and gets little respect. Some bird lovers in the valley though are here and there but the panthers are waaay more popular with thugish people.

I do A LOT more pull over worthy moves on the road in the bird than I ever did with the grand marquis and somehow it goes unnoticed.

Bottom line my fav car the panther is a no no here unless youre a cop yourself your going to find yourself seeing red and blue in your rear view on a weekly basis.

Caddys here tend to be thug mobiles as do the old school montes/etc and for some retarded reason nissans are considered thug cool here(maybe there is that many retards here wouldnt surprise me)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
No.

For one thing, thug life favors GMs for those Seville like mods, particularly B,C and G(rwd mostly) bodies but many have made the move to H bodies as well.

Two, Just because they are cheap doesn't mean squat. The cars that are popularly used for these kinds of mods generally are status symbols, the MN12 isn't a status symbol to anyone nor are there enough remaining numbers to do so(IE they missed the boat of thug life)

3 these cars would suck for smuggling, find a hidden crevice that can hold anything substantial that wouldn't be immediately spotted.

Four your car is red, is really low and has small wire wheel covers, it seems like you're setting yourself up right there.

Seven this thread sucks
You left one out. Cougars & T-Birds will only hold two thugs comfortably in the front and two cramped in the back seat with no chance of exiting the vehicle in a timely manor.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Hard to say, I'm sure a lot of it has to do with region. I've never gotten any attention from the police and haven't ever seen an MN12 or FN10 pulled over either. This day and age MN12s are getting to the point where they are easily acquired by anyone due to price, so more hot-shot kids are getting their hands on them and doing stupid things to attract attention.
V8 + aftermarket rims and/or exhaust + 18year old + driver's seat gangster lean = cop magnet.
-g

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
My exhaust is loud as hell, my windows are tinted and the cops mostly look past me. I agree with everyone else your paranoid. Also your 18 so it doesnt matter what you drive

·
Super Moderator
11,918 Posts
ANY CAR + 18year old + driver's seat gangster lean = cop magnet.
-g
Fixed ;)
:uppoint: LOL

Yea, it's a whole lot about how you present yourself and how you drive.

But, on topic. Yea, I could see why LEO's might be attracted to MN12's. No matter where I am I'm always on the look out for other MN12's and some that I see could pass for drug dealer or courier cars, others are just showing their age. As time marches on the MN12's I see out there that have been well maintained are fewer and further between ...

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
When I bought my current bird, I sold my old bird...my current car, and my old 95 where so similar in looks overall, most people in my town thought I had simply had my 95 painted...my old car had the same dark tint as my current bird, and even louder exhaust than my current car...I never got pulled over in the nasty looking loud 95, but the then lowrider 96 with equally dark tint kept getting pulled over for illegally dark tint. Once I removed the tint from the front Windows, no more police...honestly, I think stereotypes play into how cops react, also, being 16-20ish, driving....a vehicle.....you're gonna get messed with. There are exceptions, such as what recently happened to Chris_murder, he's a good guy and didn't deserve that from a dbag cop on a power trip...

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
When I bought my current bird, I sold my old bird...my current car, and my old 95 where so similar in looks overall, most people in my town thought I had simply had my 95 painted...my old car had the same dark tint as my current bird, and even louder exhaust than my current car...I never got pulled over in the nasty looking loud 95, but the then lowrider 96 with equally dark tint kept getting pulled over for illegally dark tint. Once I removed the tint from the front Windows, no more police...honestly, I think stereotypes play into how cops react, also, being 16-20ish, driving....a vehicle.....you're gonna get messed with. There are exceptions, such as what recently happened to Chris_murder, he's a good guy and didn't deserve that from a dbag cop on a power trip...
Pfft and don't forget that I got pulled over by a cop as I was leaving your housing area simply because I wasn't you and they thought I stole it lol. After the cop saw all of the paperwork they let me go almost immediately.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No.

Seven this thread sucks
My vehicle has had the Sport/LX salad shooter alloys on it for about the last year now. And for the record I drove with my seatback nearly vertical because I am short and I cant reach the controls otherwise. Perhaps cops think I look 12?

As far as places to store stuff, I watched a program on national geographic about the drug inspections at the border. On the program they pulled apart not one, but two MN12s crossing the border and found drugs in them. (they made a compartment under the rear seat by compromising the fuel tank)

I got pulled over much more in my grand marquis THOSE are thug cars right there. Out there half the panther cars are owned by cops and old people and the other half is people the cops would be tempted to pull over. Seriously I liked my grand marquis but its too much of an attention getter. THe mn12 here is still ubiquitous one on every block driven by all kinds of people. The mn12 gets ignored here and gets little respect. Some bird lovers in the valley though are here and there but the panthers are waaay more popular with thugish people.

I do A LOT more pull over worthy moves on the road in the bird than I ever did with the grand marquis and somehow it goes unnoticed.

Bottom line my fav car the panther is a no no here unless youre a cop yourself your going to find yourself seeing red and blue in your rear view on a weekly basis.

Caddys here tend to be thug mobiles as do the old school montes/etc and for some retarded reason nissans are considered thug cool here(maybe there is that many retards here wouldnt surprise me)
There are alot more nice MN12s where I am going to school than where I'm from. You see a TON of MN12s in lower income areas.

These kind:

My exhaust is loud as hell, my windows are tinted and the cops mostly look past me. I agree with everyone else your paranoid. Also your 18 so it doesnt matter what you drive
Probably true. I wonder if that officer would have harassed me as much if I was in my Mustang or F-150.

:uppoint: LOL

Yea, it's a whole lot about how you present yourself and how you drive.

But, on topic. Yea, I could see why LEO's might be attracted to MN12's. No matter where I am I'm always on the look out for other MN12's and some that I see could pass for drug dealer or courier cars, others are just showing their age. As time marches on the MN12's I see out there that have been well maintained are fewer and further between ...
Probably true also. I see more MN12s in junkyards than I do on the road anymore.

You are probably right. I hate being forced into categories that I don't really belong to (punk ass kids) but I guess that's kind of what cops have to go on when looking for people to stop, its not fair but there's not much I can do.

I should just tell my mother "Its not my car... its me!" :tongue:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I turned the corner a block or two from my work a few weeks ago and leaned into the throttle pretty hard (yes I floored it) right after a city cop passed me going the other direction. When I got out of the car at work, I saw the cop car sitting there to the rear of my car. I walked up to it and he rolled down the window and said "Wanna race?"we both laughed. He told me that he used to have a blue Thunderbird like mine and loved it until it was stolen and messed up. Anyway, I was like "Yeah, these are really awesome cars. They are all I've had for the past 10 years. Have a good day!" and I went to work. That was much better than my previous police experiences!

·
Registered
871 Posts
When I bought my chameleon bird I got pulled over in my Red SC, in front of the guys house none the less, when all was said and done the guy asked how often I get pulled over. I told him all the time, When I asked why he told me he heard once not too long ago that Thunderbirds are a popular choice for drug dealers. I didn't believe him so I have a friend who is a K9 officer that I asked and he did confirm this fact that the police have a list of cars that are popular with drug dealers, the 89-97 Thunderbird being one of the top cars, so yeah police have a thing for MN-12's

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.