TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got under the bird yesterday and it appears that the front of the car (subframe and subsequently, the engine) have been pushed back like 2 inches. The DS yoke is jammed all the way into the tailhousing and is leaking fluid through the yoke it appears. My driveshaft also broke in two right in front of the gas tank. Do you think my transmission is ok? The one in the 96 is rebuilt already, but the possibly broken one I have is like an 01 or 02 crown vic trans. I was hoping this would all be good. :(
Has anyone had bad experiences using a transmission that had the yoke shoved in it? I think I can just replace the seal and be on my merry way after changing the filter and fluid. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well damn. I guess I will inspect it closer when it hits the ground today.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Only suggestion I have is disconnect the DS from the yoke, put the tranny in neutral and spin the yoke and c how it feels.. Feel for grinding and listen to how it sounds.. If it feels rite and makes that normal 'hum' sound then it should be fine

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I definitely wouldn't put it in a car without taking it completely apart and inspecting everything first.

Darrin

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I pulled the engine,trans,subframe, and exhaust last night in one piece, the driveshaft slid right out. I think I will just replace the seals and see if it works. If not, the trans in the 96 just got rebuilt. I believe I can swap the newer 01+ Crown Vic valve body into the 96 trans. Is this correct? Thanks

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Well I pulled the engine,trans,subframe, and exhaust last night in one piece, the driveshaft slid right out. I think I will just replace the seals and see if it works. If not, the trans in the 96 just got rebuilt. I believe I can swap the newer 01+ Crown Vic valve body into the 96 trans. Is this correct? Thanks
How hard did you hit? I hit a center median doing 50 MPH and the left front wheel took the brunt of the impact completely demolishing my suspension the process, however it did not bend my unibody or move the engine or transmission...

Made it easier for me to get another subframe and rebuild it...

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a hit to the front of my body and subframe from the side. We had to use a sawzall and a hydraulic ram to get the body to clear the engine, lol. Looks like I will be using 96 valve covers on this engine. After seeing the trans in person, I think it will be fine with a new seal, but who knows what may have happened inside. Time will tell ;) BTW, that was sweet about getting a new subframe. I wish that was all that happened to my baby :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts